News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it really bad to leve out you thermostate?

Started by mikes68charger, September 02, 2006, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2006, 04:13:52 PM
That's kind of why I was scratching my head over the boat radiator question when I asked it.

Actually,,,, bigger boats do use something similar to a radiator. It's called a (heat exchanger). Same idea as a rad. but instead of using air over the coils like our cars, it is built like a rad. with a vessel around it. Instead of air rushing around the tubes it use fresh or salt water to flow around the tubes. This exchanges the heat to water taken from the lake or ocean.  By the way, they use thermostats too..... ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

wow . thanks for the tip !!!!!!!!!! Ive been boating for thirty years , and have probaly replaced more heat exgangers than you can imagine !

daytonalo

Ghoste

I don't know, I think I'll just stick to land.  I have enough trouble figuring out and paying for that. ;)

Steve P.

Daytonalo.. What is your problem??  Do you think your experience with your boat is the only way in the world? I was in the Navy and working on main engines, evaporators, genorators, every type of pump you can think of, hot water tanks, steam driven and electric pumps and emergency diesel genorators. I have letters of commendation from the captains of both ships I was on for work above and beyond. I'm not trying to lay my crank out on the table, but for cripes sake, take a pill!!!! Look a bit farther than the little world you live in.. It's nice that you have a boat and that you work on it. Great!! This is a CAR forum and beyond that a pretty decent family of people from all over the world. Everyone here is appreciated and we take care of our own. That being said, I would really appreciate it if you would spend your energy here with consideration of others. Many here are learning from these posts. One of our main objectives is to keep others from making mistakes that some of us have made or seen in the past.

I'm sure we would all like to hear about your boat, but that would go in the OFF TOPIC area.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

Sounds like someone needs a hug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

Hey cupcake , I have contributed a great deal under areo section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lighten up  SUNSHINE  :devil:

daytonalo

Steve P.

Quote from: daytonalo on October 10, 2006, 09:50:39 AM
Hey cupcake , I have contributed a great deal under areo section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lighten up  SUNSHINE  :devil:

Realllly!!!  Did you tell everyone there that they DON"T need a thermostat??  I've got a grand that says your 70's Bronco has a t-stat in it...  I'll bet your Daytona has one in it too!!  Matter of fact, remove it from your big block and let me know how it does...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

Hey (CUPCAKE) SteveP. :icon_smile_big:  I live in N. Ca. in the hills and in the summer it gets over 100+ degrees and in the winter it gets in the high 20s and 30s.  I will only take my car out on dry days but I was wondering do you or some guy's change the thermostat for the climate???  In the chevy truck we used to have we came down from Tahoe in the winter and had to stop to get the truck to warm up so the heater would work......Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

daytonalo

Nope no stat in the bronco , or any engine I own . when it gets real cold I install a restrictor to make it run at 150

Steve P.

Quote from: skip68 on October 10, 2006, 10:27:42 AM
Hey (CUPCAKE) SteveP. :icon_smile_big:  I live in N. Ca. in the hills and in the summer it gets over 100+ degrees and in the winter it gets in the high 20s and 30s.  I will only take my car out on dry days but I was wondering do you or some guy's change the thermostat for the climate???  In the chevy truck we used to have we came down from Tahoe in the winter and had to stop to get the truck to warm up so the heater would work......Chuck

No, you should only ever have to change a t-stat if it isn't operating properly. I lived in upstate NY for about 33 years and in Florida now for about 12. As long as the rest of your system is working properly you should have no problem keeping the same stat in year round. I prefer 180* stats in the pre computer cars. On all the newer stuff I use what the factory recommends. I don't have a problem with overheating even here in Florida. I have also towed cross country in the summer heat without trouble.

On the old Chebby truck it could be a few things, but it sounds like maybe you were low on coolant.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

I don't remember being low on coolant but maybe :shruggy: It was about 12 years ago.  We were coasting for a few miles so I just thought it was so cold that it just cooled the engine down.  Thanks Mr. P.......................Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

daytonalo

Overheating isn't the issue here , Its the optimum temp for the optimum performance !

Steve P.

Overheating will be an issue if the stat is left out for 99% of the people here. Many are running stout engines that they put to the test every chance they get. Even more have cars that came with 22" rads. and they have built stump pulling big blocks. Still others are towing 5 to 6 thousand pounds around with their rigs. Many of them in mountainous areas. Even an orifice, (restricter), won't work for most. It damn sure won't work here in Florida.. Our Canadian brothers would freeze their arses off all winter. Chryco would be a Popsicle nearly year round!! I know my cousin and a few other members out there in the desert would fry motors on a regular basis. 

Also an orifice does not regulate flow. It restricks flow. Much like pinching a hose. A T-stat regulates when and how much.  Using an  orifice in a daily driver is comparable to running your AC all summer with the windows open. The AC never shuts off and when it gets a bit cooler outside you have to open the windows too....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

Do your homework !!!!!!!!!! if a car overheats without a stat its because the cooling system is inadequate and the water is circulating too fast for the undersized rad to cool the water . My data has been compiled from my own 100 + vehicles and my race boat over the last thirty years !!!!!!!!!!!!! This method has worked for me , its proven , I do not need to prove to you or someones theory on this subject , I spend a small fortune on my race boat and hemi cars to go out and harm them . CASE CLOSED

Steve P.

So everyone should throw their thermostats away. OK....  :brickwall:  Along with that Detroit can save themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars by not installing t-stats.. Maybe they should.. Then they can make lots more money selling everyone a new car very often!! Oh wait. Stupid me... That wouldn't work. SOME people are bound to bitch about needing a new engine so soon.. Some liberal bastard would raise too much hell..... 

Why don't we remove our back brakes too?? They only do about 30% of the work!!

You ARE right about one thing though. For me this case IS closed....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

JUST BECAUSE A GUY ON TV GETS A SEX CHANGE , DOESN'T MEAN ITS RIGHT FOR EVERYONE ELSE ! This data stands for it self , and my racing career , and the wins have proven to myself that it works . Again I run my engines @ 150 , and @ 5000 rpm all day long . Can anyone else really say that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve P.

Ok, you reeled me in again.. Let's break this down.

1) You are not comparing apples to apples. Your 5000 rpm boat takes on fresh water every second it is running. RIGHT??  Also, your motor is built for running at 5000 rpm when ever it is running. RIGHT??

NOTHING ON THIS SITE IS BUILT FOR FRESH WATER ALL THE TIME OR TO RUN ALL DAY LONG AT 5000 RPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What part of that don't you understand?? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

2) Where is the DATA??

3) What RACING career are you referring to?? I've never seen you on TV to know you race anything. Never  Seen your name in any drag racing reviews either.

4) I think the fact that all nuclear facilities have back up diesel generators with huge radiators and t-stats that have to be tested and changed on a regular basis means something. The size of these rads. are 20 fold the amount of coolant required by the diesel manufacturer and they have entire room evac. fans to cool them. Without a stat these diesels would run at ambient temps. The Stats are in place to make the diesels run at a set temperature.

5) From my slight experience with racing boats, the orifice plates were changed out according to the lake temperature. Not run wide open. Maybe your motor is different from the blown 468 big block chevy I helped build. That boat ran over 119 MPH consistently.

6) I highly doubt you are hauling your boat any distance through the summer with a factory Bronco minus the T-stat. And I am not talking about all down hill!!! 

7) Even my Buddy's 150 Merc. has a t-stat and it's built for running in salt water down here in FLORIDA where it's very hot and humid.

Beyond this I don't really care.. Have a nice day.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

why would I lie about my set up ! what would I have to gain , this is what works for me . And again my three ford trucks have no stats and again this is my experience . one more thing you horses ass , send me you e-mail address and I will forward a racing photo show for you to materbate on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Steve P.

Quote from: daytonalo on October 10, 2006, 08:28:54 PM
why would I lie about my set up ! what would I have to gain , this is what works for me . And again my three ford trucks have no stats and again this is my experience . one more thing you horses ass , send me you e-mail address and I will forward a racing photo show for you to materbate on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Wow, now who needs a hug?? 

You didn't answer ONE question.   You have not shown any DATA at all.

I could send you pics. of me racing too. Big deal.. Doesn't mean you know your ass from a hole in the ground. So far all you have done is show your ass. I don't need to see it!! I don't think anyone else here wants to see it either.  So with those infamous words used so often by AOL I will say two words to you.

GOOD BYE..... :nana:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida