News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One Year Later...Wood grain dash decals NOT making me happy!

Started by Mfr426, November 27, 2006, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey All, about a year ago I posted some pictures and details about using the woodgrain decal kit that I had purchased on eBay. They were the ones that you heat, stretch & glue and were installed over your current woodgrain faceplates.

I was very happy right after I installed them and for a few months more but now I've noticed that the material has separated and a clear top cover is coming comming off of the wood grain color layer. The small screw holes were the first to "lift" and I'm sure the other smaller gauges will follow as well. I've also noticed some specking on the dash decal that I can't explain so I am assuming it is the material breaking down.

So, for any of you considering the kit that you have to heat, pull and then glue to get it to fit, I'd pass. Unfortunately, this product is not lasting long-term.

Just thought I'd save some fellow Mopar friends some time, money and aggravation.

Mike Roberts

moparjohn

Sorry to hear that Mike, It sure looked good at Carlisle!  I saw a guy that was repoping the dash woodgrain at one of the shows (Carlilse?) and it was not a sticker.  I am sure it was not cheap ($600.00 I think) Let me know if you want that name and I'll dig it out. Nothing worse than less than great results- just was there with a certain chrome/dash company myself. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Shakey

Mfr426

Hey  John, yep...I saw those new dash pieces and they were really nice (and no stickers either). I think you are correct that they are about $600 or so. With a second on the way, a large addition in the works and a wife watching every penny I think I'll have to "stick with the stickers" for now...

:rotz:

Shakey

There is a photo of the P & G stuff in this thread from the summer.

They were $690.00 CDN which is about $612.00 USD.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,17452.0.html

Mfr426

Does anyone agree/disagree with the woodgrain color and/or pattern (in the attached thread)?

They look good to me but I wondered if anyone knows if the are correct?

Mike R

Shakey

Quote from: Mfr426 on November 28, 2006, 12:27:44 PM
Does anyone agree/disagree with the woodgrain color and/or pattern (in the attached thread)?

They look good to me but I wondered if anyone knows if the are correct?

Mike R

Not sure myself but I figured if I am changing all of them it wouldn't matter.  Unless of course you're building a car for judges to pick apart then I guess it matters.

Don't tell me you're concerned about the proper shade and grain now that you've decided to swap out the 383 and put a 440 in the car - are you?   :D

Mfr426

"Don't tell me you're concerned about the proper shade and grain now that you've decided to swap out the 383 and put a 440 in the car - are you?" 

Nice Shakey...real nice!!!   :icon_smile_big: lol

Shakey

Mfr426

bull

By the sounds of the installation process it does seem like it was doomed. I would think that the material would want to shrink and return to its former state. Oh well, live and learn. At least you didn't knock a hole in the side of the block or something.

Mfr426

No hole in the block but I HATE taking out that cluster. I can never get my fat hands in there to get the plugs in without tearing off more skin.

Once the bills subside (about 2020) I'll get a repop'd one  that I've seen around.