News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-69 A/C Questions

Started by BlueSS454, November 19, 2006, 07:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

Of you guys that have original restored or unrestored cars, where are you guys getting new A/C hoses from?  I'm slowly acquiring the A/C stuff I need and the hoses seemingly are going to be the toughest things to get.  I got the expansion valve off a Satellite in the junkyard and the heater valve from a 69 in the junkyard.  I can go back and get the accumulator and mounting bracket if I can't find them anywhere else.  The lone 69 in that yard I got the heater valve from is next to impossible to get to work on because there is another car on top of it so the hood can't be lifted up very much.  Are the hoses something that you need to have the old ones of to get new ones made? 
Also, I have a compressor and brackets which also has an idler pulley on it.  Is that correct for a BB car with A/C?
Tom Rightler

Chatt69chgr

My uderstanding is that all hoses now are pretty much made for R134.  These new hoses have a lining inside that prevents the refrigerant from leaking out (molecules are smaller on R134 apparently).  And the best part is they can be used with R12.  They are better than the old type hoses.  Most any good ac shop can make up hoses using crimp on fittings.  Or you can order the hoses from Classic Auto Air in Florida.  I think they will sell you the hoses and fittings separately if you want to buy then that way and you can take them to a local shop to have them crimped on after you make your measurements.  Don't know about the idler pulley.  You must have a source for the R12.  I heard it's real expensive.  Would think that you would have to at a minimum replace the main shaft seal on the compressor which I think takes special tools.  And the receiver drier.  Needs to be for R12 as the dessicant inside is different for the two refrigerants/oils.  Others here have probably returned original R12 systems to operation and can provide insights as to the difficulties involved.  I am accumulating parts to change my system over to R134 as I don't care about keeping the RV2 compressor.  Classic Auto Air sells all the materials to do this conversion.