News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ACID Dipping Prices

Started by PocketThunder, October 04, 2006, 10:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

FYI:  I called the shop in Milwaukee that 69hemi used and the prices for acid dipping are as follows:

Body shell - $1400~$1500 depending on how much undercoating is on the car.
Fender each - $75
Hood - $85
Deck Lid - $85
Valence - $35

Restoration Specialties in Milwaukee, WI, (414-529-1515)

Just as soon as i find $1855 and enough gas money to get there, my C500 is gonna get a bath :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

41husk

Does anyone know of someone in the Stlouis area that does that?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Shakey

A few months back I asked a few questions regarding acid dipping, looking for feedback from anyone that has had used this process in the past.  Mind you, I was interested in just having my suspension pieces done, not the whole car.  Below is a link to the thread with some feedback from a few different members.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14671.0.html#top

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 41husk on October 04, 2006, 11:01:48 AM

Allen here's the guy that does all my stuff, including my entire car:

ACP Metal Cleaning  618-476-3500

He's in Milstadt, just down the road from you  ;)

Dale has always been very careful with my parts, My friends and I have taken a lot of parts, and a few whole cars to him over the last several years and we've never had a problem, (sometimes there's a wait to get your stuff in to him, but you've gotta kinda expect that since he's only a one-man shop)

Oh, yeah! He's cheap,too!

41husk

Thanks, I will give him a call.   
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

Just remember that this process will remove all sound deadeners, flutter foams and sealers. There are places that you cannot get back into to reseal or add sound deadeners such as flutter foam. A friend of mine had one dipped years ago and it was like driving a tin can down the road. He also had a lot of trouble with water seeping in around the back glass where the sheet metal is sandwiched. He was never happy with the car again.
We never dip cars. We will use liquid strippers when the paint is excessively thick and then final sand them. We try not to ever go rougher than 180 grit. We sandblast (using #4 fine sand) the jambs and crevices where the metal is thicker and/or harder to sand.
As for the trunk lids and hoods, the flutter foam that is between the outer skin and the reinforcement is extremely hard to replace. You don't want the outer skin left floating.
I'm just not a big fan of the dipping process.
You can see some of our work at www.maniacmusclecars.com

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

4402tuff4u

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 04, 2006, 10:54:01 AM
FYI:  I called the shop in Milwaukee that 69hemi used and the prices for acid dipping are as follows:

Body shell - $1400~$1500 depending on how much undercoating is on the car.
Fender each - $75
Hood - $85
Deck Lid - $85
Valence - $35

Restoration Specialties in Milwaukee, WI, (414-529-1515)

Just as soon as i find $1855 and enough gas money to get there, my C500 is gonna get a bath :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Paul any reason why you are going strictly with the acid dip? Did you price media blast? I had my 68 R/T blasted for $ 800 here in NY. Has to be less by you, unless you are looking for a concourse resto on the C500.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Wakko

What kind of dipping is it where they redip it and electrostatically charge the protectant on it?  I don't think it was acid.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

BigBlockSam

we use to dip the race cars but that was for weight
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

THE CHARGER PUNK

shit thats big $$$ a place here will do an entire car for $450 including doors,hood,trunk etc.-MATT

69_500

You still thinking of having the car acid dipped there Pocket?
There is a shop here by me in Indiana that would do the media blasting for $800. He has already done 2 Charger 500's, and is currently working on a Daytona and a Superbird. So it wouldn't be his first attempt on a aero car.

dodgeboy67

Quote from: 69_500 on October 27, 2006, 09:13:24 AM
There is a shop here by me in Indiana that would do the media blasting for $800. He has already done 2 Charger 500's, and is currently working on a Daytona and a Superbird. So it wouldn't be his first attempt on a aero car.

got his ####?????

41husk

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 04, 2006, 11:39:11 PM

Dale has always been very careful with my parts, My friends and I have taken a lot of parts, and a few whole cars to him over the last several years and we've never had a problem, (sometimes there's a wait to get your stuff in to him, but you've gotta kinda expect that since he's only a one-man shop)

Thanks!  He is hard to get a hold of but, I am taking my hoods in Monday, $50 a piece.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 41husk on January 09, 2007, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 04, 2006, 11:39:11 PM

Thanks!  He is hard to get a hold of but, I am taking my hoods in Monday, $50 a piece.

Cool!  Dale will treat you right!

PocketThunder

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on October 06, 2006, 08:52:35 AM

Paul any reason why you are going strictly with the acid dip? Did you price media blast? I had my 68 R/T blasted for $ 800 here in NY. Has to be less by you, unless you are looking for a concourse resto on the C500.

Quote from: 69_500 on October 27, 2006, 09:13:24 AM

My friend at works kid now works at a media blast shop right by my office now, so i might be going that route now.  Cost is always an issue and i'd like to get this car running before i die so, no high dollar resto for me. 

I'll call in and see what its gonna cost.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Got word that the media blasting shop charges $125 hour to blast.  They said my Charger will probably take 5+ hours to do.  so i'm looking at 6x125= $750.