News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Full Restoration

Started by thor, May 29, 2007, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thor

Where to start?

Interior? Paint?  Engine?

Mike DC

Rust & sheetmetal issues first. 

moparguy01

i agree. the bodywork is the hard part. get it in primer and blocked out then do the rest, that way you cant scratch your fresh paint. interior should go last, cause that would be the very last thing you need done.

bill440rt

Full restoration?

Step 1: Photograph everything. Document everything. Research your car, decode VIN & fender tag to verify options. Visually see what needs replacement. Get estimates on work to be farmed out if you're not doing it yourself.

Step 2: COMPLETELY disassemble the ENTIRE car. Remove anything bolted on. Bag & tag everything. Photograph as you go. Assess what will be replaced or restored. Do this until nothing remains on the body.

Step 3: Restore the body. This will take the longest. Too much to type here.

Step 4: Restore all the components. Buy parts, buy more parts, & buy some more parts. When you think you're done, buy a couple more just to be sure you've covered everything.

Step 5: Reassemble the entire vehicle piece by piece. Be careful not to scratch or damage anything or you'll be redoing it.

Step 6: Troubleshoot to make sure the car is SAFE!!

Step 7: Enjoy!

Sounds easy, eh?
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

thor

Wow.  thanks for the replies.   I've decoded the tag and have all the parts I need.  I hope.   I was going to pull the engine and trans and the windows and molding and send it out for the body work and paint.  I was wondering if I should pull the interior before paint?  I haven't looked under the rear seat yet.  It would be awsome if the build sheet was still intact.  what are the chances of that?

Thanks

gtx6970

What ever you've budgeted for the resto- you'll need double that

Order of resto lies on your own capibilities - in regards to what can be done at home and what needs farmed out

resq302

And be sure to order lost of detail correct stuff from the guy who posted above me.   ;D :yesnod:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto