News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which parts should NOT be sandblasted?

Started by Mo Power, June 18, 2007, 11:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Ok I know sandblasting can warp the panels but what panels would take the least affect on if I sandblasted them because I'm trying to prime my charger to get ready for senior pictures and i only have 2 days?
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

Charger1973

I primed mine over the paint.  Just scuffed the old paint and sprayed it.  Sounds strange but they say primer holds moisture and I didnt want that against bare metal and causing more rust.  I only primed it so it would look better because I have panels from several cars on it at this point and im nowhere near ready to paint it.  Id say unless you are ready for paint to just do it this way, because otherwise its going to need re-done anyways... 

Mo Power

Well the stupid thing I did when I first got the car was wanting to sand it down which I did but only like half of it and then the rest I just primed over which now shows after 2 yrs that I did it really crappy because it broke up all the primer from inside out and I know i didnt prepare the body very well for the primer either. So I guess I was wanting to make sure this prime job works and looks alot better.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

bull

Typically the large body panels are what many guys try to stay away from due to warpage. The body shop that took care of mine chemically stripped the doors, quarters, deck lid and fenders and blasted the trunk, engine compartment, hood, interior floor and other more rigid and/or inconspicuous areas.

Charger-Bodie

do not blast the hood or deck lid at all nor the outside of the doors fenders 1/4s or any other outer panels with the exception of the wheel wells door jambs trunk opening gine compartment .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............