News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

source for the best body screw kits out there..

Started by hemi68charger, July 16, 2007, 08:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Anyone have a source for a very thorough and as-correct-as-possible body screw kit for a '68 Charger... Per example, the washer bottle attach screws, rear taillamp lip moulding screws, wheel lip moulding screws, etc..

Thanks,,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gtx6970

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 16, 2007, 09:02:14 AM
does it have to be in a kit ?

Hey there Bill..
Guess it doesn't.. The only reason I like the kit is that all the possible areas I'll need will be encompassed..  I was just thinking since there's the interior screw kits out on the market, there might be an exterior equivalent.. If you have a "collection" or "list" of the typical packages, I'd guess that might work..  Since this is aimed towards my '68 restoration, I'd like to have good clean and freshly plated screws over the originals which show "age"...

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

gtx6970

problem is the interior screw ' kits ' you've mentioned avail today - your gonna throw 1/3rd or more on it in the trash

MR G's and  this is just as an example as I don't like picking on another venders product.

dash screws supplied come in chrome - should be black zinc
door sill plate screws are hardware store pan head screws

I don't have kits persay(not yet anyway - but i'm working on it as we speak ) I have about 50-75% of the fasteners your after individually - all correct

R/T Specialties product line is my next major stockup. I talked to Tom at Carlisle.

Now , just to take this one step further,

hypthectically speaking - is there a market for a complete body fastener kit that contains all correct fasteners ( at least fasteners that are avail - in this case something similar will be subsituted )

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 16, 2007, 10:27:20 AM
problem is the interior screw ' kits ' you've mentioned avail today - your gonna throw 1/3rd or more on it in the trash

MR G's and  this is just as an example as I don't like picking on another venders product.

dash screws supplied come in chrome - should be black zinc
door sill plate screws are hardware store pan head screws

I don't have kits persay(not yet anyway - but i'm working on it as we speak ) I have about 50-75% of the fasteners your after individually - all correct

R/T Specialties product line is my next major stockup. I talked to Tom at Carlisle.

Now , just to take this one step further,

hypthectically speaking - is there a market for a complete body fastener kit that contains all correct fasteners ( at least fasteners that are avail - in this case something similar will be subsituted )

Bill,
I personally think there's a market and need.. I'll use Totally Auto's engine bolt kif for example. Albeit the heads on most may not be 100%, it surely is nice to have individually packaged screw sets in the kit that are labeled for their application.. Like, take for example, the rear tail lamp upper stainless steel trim. It would be nice to have a baggie that contained all (about 7 or 9 I think) correct screws.. Same thing for the wheel lip moulding, sill plates, front turn indicator attach hardware,etc......  I totally understand where you're coming from in regards to items supplied by the generic-likes of Mr. G's and such (guess I can get away with it easier since I'm not a competitor).. This is why I come to the likes of you, Frank and Tom......

Troy
Troy

OttawaCharger

I'll second that.  I took due diligence in labelling and bagging every screw when it was removed from the car but I don't know if they're original and I know that I was missing some to start with such as the front valence attachment screws.   We all know what a pain it is to be missing a small part and have to wait 2 weeks to get it in.  it would be worth it to pay a premium in order to have ALL the screws ready.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

gtx6970

I'll agree , to open a series of boxes to find all new, baggied and  labeled hardware ready to go would be nice,hence Mr G's success - Now make it all new AND correct would be a dream for some , but a nightmare for the one putting the kits together.You have to figure 1968 charger kit would be slighly different from a 1969  then again for a 1970 and so on. It would be a duanting task for the one taking on such a  project.I'm not sayin it can't be done, but at what cost to make it viable to the retail public AND the manufacturer.
The problem is, Most people ( I'm not one of these btw ) don't care as far as absolute correctness is concerned.  In this department,Tom  has already put together kits to cover this.

I can attest 1st hand Trying to cater to the 10% of the buying public is hard - almost to the point of impossibile.

second - absolute correct fasteners for EVERY part of any particular vehicle doesn't exist, in this case - used is ones only alternative.Next you have to consider the variables, decklid to hinge bolts as an example - some used a 15/16" washer - some used a 1-1/8" washer so which ones to put in a kit ? washer jar screws is another - some were black phosphate some were clear zinc

I've tried to remain true to carrying only those items that are correct in every way ( at least within whats currently avail ). BUT for A+M Hightech to survive this needs to alter - slightly. Remember this is my fulltime job, as of May 23rd 2007
I will still concentrate on correct in all regards - but will also try to sastify the other 90% as well. Inventory is being added daily trying to fill both venues, and it's not an easy task I might add.My plan over the next 30 to 60 days is to widen the inventory line - more of the R/T Specilaties products (1st priorty )  ,then  REM products, A+M Softseal products, Trim Parts products, Fine Lines products. maybe a few more as capitol allows

OttawaCharger

I can appreciate it from your point of you view.  It definitely has to be reasonable or it won't be cost effective for you as a business.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!