News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Huskers destroy Nevada in season opener!

Started by TheGhost, September 02, 2007, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

52-10!  Booyah!!!  This is the best NE has looked since... well, practically since Osbourne left.  Next up is Wake Forest, then a rematch with USC.

In other football news, #5 Michigan lost to a DIVISION 2 SCHOOL, AT HOME!  Congrats to Appalacian State.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ponch ®

Quote from: TheGhost on September 02, 2007, 12:04:02 AM
52-10!  Booyah!!!  This is the best NE has looked since... well, practically since Osbourne left.  Next up is Wake Forest, then a rematch with USC.

In other football news, #5 Michigan lost to a DIVISION 2 SCHOOL, AT HOME!  Congrats to Appalacian State.

lol @ "destroying" Nevada.... :hah:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TheGhost

Nevada doesn't look like it's that bad of a team this year, plus with the way the NU football program has been the past couple of years, this is a much needed big victory.  I think that Keller might be the best QB we've had since Eric Crouch, Lucky really showed what he was capable of today, and Bo Ruud and Octavian on defense are one hell of a 1-2 punch.  Plus, I think we got the best kicker in NCAA right now, and he's only a freshman.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

69CoronetRT

Ghost...I'm a season ticket holder and followed NU since about '69 so I'm somewhat familair with the program....

I'm not sure a convincing victory over Nevada tells us much except there is progress. The O line and secondary depth is better but not up to NU standards quite yet.

Does NU have a kicker again? - yes probably two
A QB? - Yes, Keller is capable. Lord was not that bad of a QB; look at his career stats and compare what he had to work with compared to Fraiser, Frost and Crouch. IIRC, the last time an NU back rushed for 200 yds was Lord against Texas when he almost pulled that game off by himself (I was there...)
A running game: probably but not just from Lucky. I'm still not convinced he's an every down back for the entire season. Castille looks great for the future.
D line is still young and stopping a good running game is still unknown
Linebackers: a strength. IF Octavian stays healthy this year, he could be a Butkis candidate.
Special teams: still up in the air.

The Big 12 North is probable (talk to me after the trip to Columbia plus that's not much of an accomplishment this year)
The Big 12 championship is possible but would depend on many unknowns.
A top 10 finish- would still take a lot of work.

Overall: better than the last couple of years but not there yet. There are still tougher games to play. Let's talk in two weeks after USC comes to town and evaluate where NU stands against elite programs.

The future (09 and beyond) looks very bright with Gabbert, Castille, the RB from Michigan, Niles Paul et al plus the fantasic O line they are putting together.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Chris G.

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on September 02, 2007, 09:52:17 AM
Ghost...I'm a season ticket holder and followed NU since about '69 so I'm somewhat familair with the program....

I'm not sure a convincing victory over Nevada tells us much except there is progress. The O line and secondary depth is better but not up to NU standards quite yet.

Does NU have a kicker again? - yes probably two
A QB? - Yes, Keller is capable. Lord was not that bad of a QB; look at his career stats and compare what he had to work with compared to Fraiser, Frost and Crouch. IIRC, the last time an NU back rushed for 200 yds was Lord against Texas when he almost pulled that game off by himself (I was there...)
A running game: probably but not just from Lucky. I'm still not convinced he's an every down back for the entire season. Castille looks great for the future.
D line is still young and stopping a good running game is still unknown
Linebackers: a strength. IF Octavian stays healthy this year, he could be a Butkis candidate.
Special teams: still up in the air.

The Big 12 North is probable (talk to me after the trip to Columbia plus that's not much of an accomplishment this year)
The Big 12 championship is possible but would depend on many unknowns.
A top 10 finish- would still take a lot of work.

Overall: better than the last couple of years but not there yet. There are still tougher games to play. Let's talk in two weeks after USC comes to town and evaluate where NU stands against elite programs.

The future (09 and beyond) looks very bright with Gabbert, Castille, the RB from Michigan, Niles Paul et al plus the fantasic O line they are putting together.

:iagree:  Except I have only been an NU fan since 1982...I was 12.  ;)

I just want a win against a top 10 team. Too bad we didn't have Michigan the first week.  :yesnod:

last426

Talk about old memories.  Ault, the UNR coach, was my high school football coach.  Never forget the one day when I was late for practice because I was in line to buy school books.  He told me that I had to choose between school and football.  So, as a high school junior I had to make the important choice.  School, I said.  Turn in your uniform he said.  And I did.  Kim

Chris G.

Quote from: last426 on September 02, 2007, 08:08:28 PM
Ault, the UNR coach, was my high school football coach. He told me that I had to choose between school and football.  So, as a high school junior I had to make the important choice.  School, I said.  Turn in your uniform he said.  And I did.  Kim

And yet the man is probably pulling a 100K plus salary coaching football, while you're lucky to be making half that defending a client that thinks he didn't kill or rob someone. Who came out as the better human?  ;)

bull

Talk about old memories. Ault, the UNR coach, was my high school football coach. Never forget the one day when I was late for practice because I was in line to buy school books. He told me that I had to choose between school and football. So, as a high school junior I had to make the important choice. School, I said. Turn in your uniform he said. And I did. Kim

Maybe you could have said something like "Sorry I'm late, coach. I choose football" because, you see, you probably could have been on time the rest of the season and the issue would never have come up again. However, knowing what I know about you, Kim, I somehow I think you were being a wiseass, or know-it-all, or control freak, etc., and the coach picked up on it. At any rate, I think he did the right thing by booting your sorry keester off the team. Probably saved himself a world of trouble by uttering those four words.

Quote from: Chris G. on September 02, 2007, 08:16:25 PM
Ault, the UNR coach, was my high school football coach. He told me that I had to choose between school and football.  So, as a high school junior I had to make the important choice.  School, I said.  Turn in your uniform he said.  And I did.  Kim

And yet the man is probably pulling a 100K plus salary coaching football, while you're lucky to be making half that defending a client that thinks he didn't kill or rob someone. Who came out as the better human?  ;)

Oh Chris, you're my hero. :yesnod:

last426

Quote from: bull on September 02, 2007, 09:36:05 PM
Maybe you could have said something like "Sorry I'm late, coach. I choose football" because, you see, you probably could have been on time the rest of the season and the issue would never have come up again. However, knowing what I know about you, Kim, I somehow I think you were being a wiseass, or know-it-all, or control freak, etc., and the coach picked up on it. At any rate, I think he did the right thing by booting your sorry keester off the team. Probably saved himself a world of trouble by uttering those four words.

Thanks for the suggestions but I was only 16 or so, still wet behind the ears, going to a Catholic high school and, honestly, I had to tell the truth.  Between football and school, school was the correct choice for me.  Football would have never given me what schooling has.  Ault and I remain friends, knowing that our priorities were different. But he had better be making a boat load more than 100k a year -- he became a mainstay at UNR, first coach, then athletic director, now coach again, starting around 1975.  Kim

MOPARHOUND!

Search for Ault's salary, found this article from December, 2003:

"Lilley will recommend a $300,000 salary when Ault's football contract is presented to the Regents at their January meeting. Ault will continue at his current (Athletic Director) salary of $188,000 until the new contract is approved."

Link to entire article: http://www.unr.edu/nevadanews/detail.aspx?id=782

20+ years ago my head football coach at Division II Pittsburg State University (KS) was making $45,000 a year.  He is now head coach at Texas A&M, making $2,000,000+ a year, ureal.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

my73charger