News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 Poly Pictures

Started by Blackdog, August 27, 2005, 02:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdog

Well, after about 4 months its almost ready to go back in the car. It was a pretty weak motor when we pulled it and things were pretty bad off. But after a couple grand everything can be fixed. I wanna hit it with another coat of paint in some spots. I wet sanded the valve covers to make them smooth and did it just because its good practice for the Sport Fury or my Charger. I can hear it bark to life already. Anyways heres the pics from start to finish. Enjoy.
MoPAR is in the blood. 1974 Dodge Charger SE - Mine, 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury - Fathers

Blackdog

more...
MoPAR is in the blood. 1974 Dodge Charger SE - Mine, 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury - Fathers

Blackdog

First picture is us trying to figure out if we can use the newer style seal..... Nope had to use the rope...

Blackdog

more

Blackdog

more yet.

Blackdog

more... sigh, if you want some of the pictures in high res just email or ask and ill help you out.

Blackdog

and again.

Ctcharger

Looks great.  Nothing like hearing it start for the first time.

CT

Blackdog

and painted pics

Blackdog

Test fit of the intake. It was pretty dirty until i hit it with a wire wheel. Looks much better.

IBsmokin

keep them coming bro!!!  :popcrn:

Plumcrazy

Nice work, don't see those too often.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Badbob

Get a can of argent silver wheel paint and that manifold will look like new. Nice job, going against the grain with a poly will get more attention than just another 440. I showed a slant 6 Duster for years and took many trophies away from the big motor cars.

Bob

martinihenry

Wow! How cool is that! Last car I saw a 318 Poly in was a 66 Belevedere a buddy of mine bought for $600. It was gold and black, original paint. What a beautiful car that was. Man, you had some serious oil crud built up in there...too much Pennzoil or something? Did you experience a failure that prompted the rebuild, or was it just because the motor was tired? I love the exhaust manifolds. Pretty unique looking. You ought to sand blast them, and paint them with the Eastwood High Temp Exhaust Coating.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

cudaken

318 Poly is a pretty good little engine. I was glad to see a 4 barrel intake going on as well. You should talk with Geno here at the site, he has a kick ass 318 dual 4 barrels in his old Dodge Roll Back. His roll back is show quality. Him and I sure got some look's in it, more than if we where in his Hemi Charger.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Blackdog

Bob, that pic with the manifold is before it was cleaned. It looks much better now than before. Never thought about using argent wheel paint on the intake, ill think about it. Thanks.

Jason, yeah that crap was EVERYWHERE, i should have taken a picture of the valley. There were huge clumps of sticky shit. It probably ran Pennzoil or pine sap not sure whats worse? We also like to believe its from the moonshine that it ran in the back woods of Tennessee. We cant prove that it was a moonshiner car but it did come from Tennessee and damn what a trunk to hold the shine if it was.... hmm maybe thats why its also a rust free trunk???.... anyways.

There wasnt a problem with the motor that made us have to rebuild it. It ran fine. But it was "loose" and things were worn out. Also the exhaust manifolds are junk. A couple of the ears broke off and they look restrictive as all hell also. So thats why we spent the big bucks with TTi.

Mr. Cuda Ken, i believe ive had a few posts with him in the earlydays of joining this site. Granted it would be very very cool to have that setup were are just going to stick with a single 4bbl as of now.

Thanks guys

Dana

1973_WP29P

Blackdog,

If you are interested in purchasing a factory dual quad intake for that just pm me.

Rod

hemigeno

Your motor is coming together quite nicely, there, BlackDog!

I painted my valve covers black wrinkle, because when my Poly grows up, it wants to be a Hemi...

As far as going dual 4s vs. single, you won't regret it if you went 2x4s.  As awesome as your motor looks even right now, the multi-carb look  just can't be beat.  If you set it up right (with the carbs) and tune the motor, you can do very well with gas mileage too, I suspect.  Heck, I got 7.5mpg going 1000 miles to and from Columbus, hauling my Hemicar on the back! 

Either way, you have a great-looking motor, and you will be surprised at the number of people who are just glad to see something odd like that restored nicely.

Great job!

Gene

Blackdog

Its in the car!!! This Saturday my father, brother and I put it in. With a little of the loving family conversation back and forth we got it to line up and get the dowel pin in, FINALLY! It was a pain in the ass. I wonder if there was an easier way to drop it in? Other than dropping the K-frame. Ill prob do that next one i put in. But anyways its in and almost ready to rumble. I have a few more hoses to put on and some other small things. Ohh, has anyone out there installed one of these 4bbl intakes on a poly? Becuase im wondering how you rig up the kick down and throttle cable.

Ok heres pics.

Blackdog

Last picture for now.