News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

burnt an edge can it be repaired?

Started by Ryan, January 15, 2008, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

So I guess I got a little carried away with the polisher and I burnt an edge......  :bawling:

anyways is it possible to fix this without respraying the car? Can I dab on some clear and sand and polish? Oh ya the damage is on the sail panel.

My only other option is puting a vinyl top on the car, wich I am not yet positive I want to do.

Thanks

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Charger-Bodie

In the pics it looks like just burnt compound, not burnt paint?  Try a rag with a WARM soapy water solution :shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MichaelRW

Put a little water on the edge. If the marks go away, fog in a little clear in that area and then wet sand and polish the fogged in area. Stay away from the edges. Better yet put some masking tape along the edge so you can't burn it again. In the last picture it looks like you have some rather heavy swirl marks in the paint from the buffer. If that is what they are there may be a problem with your process or method. Just trying to be helpful here not critical. What have your steps been so far and what products are you using?
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Ryan

well turns out it was burnt clear, it didnt go to the base......thank god.  Anyways I just sanded a little more polished and its all gone now :2thumbs:

2014 viper TA

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ryan on January 15, 2008, 06:53:30 PM
well turns out it was burnt clear, it didnt go to the base......thank god.  Anyways I just sanded a little more polished and its all gone now :2thumbs:

Awesome!! I bet thats a HUGE relief?  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

You had me sitting on the edge of my seat.  You might as well just won the lottery, man that was a close one.  Don't do that again, I can't take it.  :slap:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ryan

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 15, 2008, 07:30:14 PM
You had me sitting on the edge of my seat.  You might as well just won the lottery, man that was a close one.  Don't do that again, I can't take it.  :slap:

haha, ya I feel pretty good now.

2014 viper TA

hemi-hampton

I was going to agree with 1hot68, just looked like some dried coumpound. If it was clear then I've seen this happen if clear is still soft from not enough drying time. How long did this clear dry? Was it air dried or baked in a over at 160 degrees for 30 minutes or what? LEON. :scratchchin:

Ryan

it was baked and I let it sit for a week, it was my fault I had the buffer going WAY to fast :brickwall:

2014 viper TA

RJS

I've rubbed a couple of black cars before, stop whatever your doing and get advice!!!  Never did I see soo many swirls in fresh paint before! Slow your buffer down and gett help from someone that's done it before.