News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 engine casting numbers???

Started by andy74, October 05, 2005, 06:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i decoded the longer numbers,2536430,which means 67-72 440 engine,but the new engine has a dash 9,(-9)after that,what does it mean?

Chryco Psycho

9th time the mould was used to make the sand cast for the block

andy74

RD

no big deal at all.  the moulds can only be used so many times before they become brittle an cause for bad castings.  yours is the ninth mould made and used.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

andy74

thanks guys, i really wasnt sure. i read the article on 440 sources site,and figure this must be a 68 block,no cast in ribs,and the date is 3/22/67. the crank was turned 10 under,and block was line bored,bored .030 over,has the pistons installed,arp rod bolts,,everything looks great.i know we have all discused the speed pro l2266f30s,but thats what i have in it,but after speaking to ron,and the heads i have were milled down,i should have 9.3 to 1 comp,.pretty good score for trading some extra 3rd gen stuff i didnt need any way!

John_Kunkel

Actually, the "mold" is sand and only used once.

The dash number after the casting number is the number of core plugs that were replaced in the casting core used to make the sand mold.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 07, 2005, 03:35:09 PM
Actually, the "mold" is sand and only used once.

The dash number after the casting number is the number of core plugs that were replaced in the casting core used to make the sand mold.

thanks john.  i think CP and I were thinking the same, we just worded it incorrectly.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander