News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gear selector

Started by Silver R/T, January 07, 2006, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

is it supposed to stay in Park when car is turned off or you can still move it in any gear?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

It depends on the year of course, but if you're talking about 66 to 69, you should be able to move it.  Never owned a 70 or 3rd gen Charger so I can't answer for them.

8WHEELER

When the car is shut off you can put it in any gear, but its best not to leave it in a gear very long unless you
have a good neutral safety switch, leave it in neutral with the E-Brake on if your trany is old. You need to
be able to put in all gears while the engine is off when you adjust the shifter linkage.

This is your 68?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

ya my 68, I was just not sure if it should be like that, since on any new car you cant put it in gear while car is off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

it was much later when they interlocked the steering column & tranny

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

How much later because I had always thought it was early 70's?

y3chargerrt

I seem to remember my 70 Challenger R/T had a rod in the trans linkage that locked it park.

Ghoste

Well that's what I thought but it's so freaking long since I had one that it could just be old age.

Chryco Psycho

it did in 70 to rotate the column so the key could be removed , so yeah that would be the first year , in 71 it was removed & a spring was installed in the cloumn to rotate the the column so the key could be removed , I believe in 71 you could move the shifter with the Key out again