News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger charging system problems

Started by stroked438, May 08, 2008, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroked438

I have a 68 Charger that I am putting together and have some questions on the charging system. I have always had drag cars and never ran an alternator. This is a street car with all new Painless wiring, Power Master alt and new voltage regulator. I know Mopars are bad about the voltage fluctuating with RPM but what can be done about it.

I started my car to break the cam in and it wasn't charging. I had the old electro-mechanical regulator on it. Jason at painless told me to change it to the newer style electronic regulator and now it charges. BUT, it only charges around 12.8-13 volts at idle with my electric fans on. It does go up with RPM but what can I do to make it charge constantly. I am afraid when I drive it with my fans, lights and radio on it will not keep up or my lights will be almost non-existant at idle.

Is there something I can do to make it charge at a constant 13-5-14 volts without going to a GM alt. I wouldn't normally have a problem with that but I have a set of March billet alt brackets and serp. pulleys on it now.

myk

How many 'amps is that Powermaster 'alt supposed to be putting out?  Unless something is amiss with your wiring or alternator itself, 12.8 to 13v sounds about right when you consider that electric fans can draw as much as 30 amps; then when your radio and lights are running as well, suddenly an 'alt is challenged to keep up.

Maybe you could try running a heavy 4g wire from the output on the 'alt to the battery stud on the starter relay?

Mopars are bad with charging, but that's because the wiring was poor even when new, and the 'alts from the time didn't put out alot of amps.  You've installed modern wiring and a powermaster, so those items shouldn't be an issue.  I'd start looking at the 'alt or the regulator and maybe the wiring...

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

stroked438

The alt. was on the car when I got it so I don't now which one it is. I can only find a 80 or 100 amp listed anywhere from Powermaster. I bought the car as a forgotten project. The alt was never ran. I do have  a 10 guage wire from the alt to the starter. The battery is in the trunk and it is a Red Top Optima. The ground from the battery is bolted to the framerail in the rear and I have a 4 guage wire from the Engine to the front frame rail. I am thinking about running a 2 guage wire from the battery to the engine for the ground.

I was also told to run a 10 gauge wire from the alt to the battery power, so I hooked it to the 2 guage wire from the battery. I am going to make sure the regulator is grounded good and see if that helps

What about a Mopar Performance constant output regulator. I have used one in the past but it didn't help much over the stock regulator.

myk

I fried batteries in the past when I used the constant output regulator.  When the system can only put out a certain voltage it'll overcharge at some point.

How many volts are you getting at the 'alt itself?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

stroked438

I will check that this weekend. My new autometer oil gauge was not working so I sent it back and got a new one. I will put it back in and fire it up again this weekend and find out some more. I looked at the other post on here where someone used a 130amp alt for a 02 Dodge van. That is looking pretty good right now. I should be able to make my March brackets work and it is setup from the factory with a serp pulley to match with the setup I have now.

myk

Oh yeah.  I just spent the last month or so in charging system hell and learned quite a bit.  I just upgraded to a dual field 'alt and electronic 'reg and the car's never been happier.  I'm also going to upgrade with a late-model, high power 'alt, like a 90 'amp unit from an '89 Dodge van.

If you wanna' read up on that 130 amp 'alt check out this thread, courtesy of DKN 1997:

http://cuda66273.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=Tech&action=display&thread=113

I've got 40 year old wiring, and I don't wanna' mess with the pulley, so I'm gonna' go with the '90 amp unit.  You've got fresh wiring, so you should definitely try the 130 amp 'alt...

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

stroked438

I don't think I would have to worry about that. I am running a new Painless harness, it don't have a bulkhead. I have also done away with the factory gauges. I am running all new Autometer guages with Volt meter.