News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Few pics of a rare '68 Charger with a rare option

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, July 12, 2007, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

I can't believe that no one else has said this yet so I will.

What were you doing taking pictures of a 68 Chris? I thought you like the 69's. Is this before or after I asked you why you aren't doing the registry for 68's as well.  :smilielol:

Old Moparz

Quote from: 69_500 on July 14, 2007, 07:53:04 AM

What were you doing taking pictures of a 68 Chris? I thought you like the 69's. Is this before or after I asked you why you aren't doing the registry for 68's as well.  :smilielol:

Chris is planning to swap his car to a '68. He bought a tail panel, grille, & side markers last week at Carlisle.  :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: pettyfan43 on July 13, 2007, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 13, 2007, 02:36:31 PM
I wonder why it wasn't an option for the later years? Maybe it was deemed impractical? :shruggy:

Think about what you are talking about and how rare they are, most likely THAT is WHY they are so rare. Nobody thought they were all that neat back then.
I wasn't thinking that people would have thought of then as neat back then, but more of an added safety feature. Car makers were advertising safety fairly heavily back then & if they made mandatory front shoulder belts, maybe they would have offered the rears optional as part of the 'package'...sorta...maybe...I dunno. :shruggy: 

Ghoste's right though, most people didn't even wear them. I don't think the majority of the public was a tenth as concerned about seatbelts as they are today, so rear shoulder belts were probably at the very bottom of most buyer's option thoughts.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69_500 on July 14, 2007, 07:53:04 AM

You're right!  What was I thinking?!@  It must have been after a few Keith's ;)  Troy has the 68 Registry under control ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Hmmm, you mean the Troy who spent the whole weekend oogling over some Cuda's?   :brickwall:

Ghoste

The other thing with safety is to remember that the automakers only promoted as much as they were forced to in order to keep Nader and big brother at bay.  Front shoulder belts weren't mandatory in 69, they were just a standard feature on the Charger (I'm not sure what year they became mandatory and I'm too lazy to look it up) and by 69, they still weren't that removed from the days when they feared developing or promoting safety equipment would imply their product was dangerous.  A great deal of the safety equipment in cars was forced on the automakers by federal legislation.

69rtcharger

I'm restoring a 1969 Charger R/T with this option. There are 16 belts in all (10 in the rear and 6 in the front). The rear shoulder belts were improved in 1969 because the shoulder belt snapped on to itself and would drape down over the back seat. This kept the "barbell" in place and kept it from sliding out of it's pocket.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69rtcharger on July 15, 2007, 10:37:42 PM
I'm restoring a 1969 Charger R/T with this option. There are 16 belts in all (10 in the rear and 6 in the front). The rear shoulder belts were improved in 1969 because the shoulder belt snapped on to itself and would drape down over the back seat. This kept the "barbell" in place and kept it from sliding out of it's pocket.

Interesting :scratchchin:  How far along with the resto are you?

Also if you haven't already, please register your Charger

www.1969chargerregistry.com

PS---welcome to the site :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

That '68 at Carlisle was an awesome car. Very nicely restored.
I thought the single headrest thing was really wacky. I kept thinking, why on earth would anyone want to order just ONE headrest???  :think:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on July 16, 2007, 08:20:05 AM
That '68 at Carlisle was an awesome car. Very nicely restored.
I thought the single headrest thing was really wacky. I kept thinking, why on earth would anyone want to order just ONE headrest???  :think:

Maybe the owner wanted to off his wife? ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69rtcharger

Hi Just 6T9 CHGR,
I'm just starting to put the seats, belts, console and other interior parts in. The drivetrain is in and running, but I still have to hang the front clip, put in the glass, etc... Progress is slow when you have a kid and little time. The Charger is Tor Red with a black interior and a custom order white stripe. I'm assuming that your car is the one in the picture by your name. It looks great! What's the story with yours? :coolgleamA:

1974dodgecharger

Im gonna install two shoulder belts in my 68 thx for the pics where to nail her down.