News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a later year caliper work on my '69 Charger?

Started by chargerhunter, February 10, 2009, 10:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerhunter

I have disc brake spindles and looking for calipers that are cheaper than $110 each plus core, will a later year B-body work?
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Ghoste

If the spindles and rotors you have are the correct ones for a 69 then no, a later caliper will not work.  There are some interchanges between years and body styles but you'll need to tell us more about what you are already starting with.  What year and what parts do you already have?

gtx6970

Disc brake spindles are unique to 1968 - 1969 with the 4 piston caliper
then 1970-1971 ( maybe some 72's ) - single piston caliper
then 1972 and up - still single piston caliper but the spindle has a larger inner bearing race

chargerhunter

'69 spindles and rotors, well I was told they came off a '69...

68 Charger 383/727

Ghoste

Then you are stuck with the four piston caliper which is nearly impossible to find.  FWIW, the 67 disc brake stuff is the same as the 68-69 parts.  Not impossible, just nearly so.  If you have a lot of money tied up in it so far or you want to keep it all original thne by all means continue the quest to get the rest of what you need.  If you have no money tied up in them and originality isn't a big deal, then go for a conversion with easier to get parts.  The four piston setup has a bad habit of calipers hanging up as well.
I have a 67 with factory discs on it and have considered (briefly) a few times upgrading to something else myself.  At the end of the day I was able to get most of what I have neededto keep it all working so it should be okay for as long as I'll have the car.

mamatried01

Can you swap over 70 Charger components to the 69?

Ghoste

If you are swapping over everything, 1970 was the year they changed to the single piston caliper.

richardmoparman

there is a very informative tech article for brake conversion for you application go to www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disk-main.html

chargerhunter

68 Charger 383/727

b5blue

I just checked it out, Its there, "Google" Mopar Action, enter "disk brake" in search and look for the "Disco Tech" article.

mamatried01

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.