News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel line follies!

Started by MadScientist, October 26, 2005, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hey all,

I m refurbishing my engine compartment and I am in need of some assisstance w/r/t the fuel line set-up.  Ive got a 383HP and Im running the "hemi" fuel pump and an edelbrock 600cfm carb (#1405).

My questions are these:

1)  Starting at the incoming fuel line from the rear of the car, where is it preferred to put the line filter, are they connected with rubber or direct fittings (this is all piror to the fuel pump I imagine)?

2)  Also from the fuel pump to the carb, do people run solid lline all the way or what?

3) Is the Edelbrock a copy of a Carter AVS?

I have seen prebent lines (pump to carb) for a 383 with a Carter AVS, but I am assuming that it wouldnt work because of the different pump style Im running (got it cheap)

Worse case scenario I will have to bend my own line from the pump to the carb.

Thanks in advance!

MS

cudaken

Boy you got me wondering on the rear fuel fliter. If there is a rear fliter then I have never had them changed on my 68 Road Runner (owned 32 years) or my 69 Charger (owned 18 year's) ;D

I am 95% sure there is not one, but if there is I be buying 2 of them :icon_smile_big:

You should run a steel line from the pump to carb, what happen to the one you had? Just go bad or are you looking for a fresh look?

Hemi Pump I just bought had a couple of sizes of fittings so I don't thing you will need to change out the lines.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

well the fuel pumps work far better on pressure than vacuum so I never run a filter before the pump , you are just begging to be stranded on the side of the road , there already is a screen on the sender insdie the fuel tank
I run solid line as much as possible & run 2" of hose on each side of the fuel filter between the pump & carb
the 1405 is not a copy of the AVS but rather the poorer yet AFB carb from Carter , Eddy now has the Thunder series carbs which are repopped AVS Style carbs & are far better than the AFB

MadScientist

OK, that clears things up a bit.  Just to clarify, Im trying to make the engine compartment look (and work) alittle better while it was currently set up for fucntion not anything else.  Needed to get it running quick for mobility.

Anyway, what Ive got now is the hard line from the tank into the engine bay with a short piece of rubber to the fuel pump (about 4").  From the pump is 2" of rubber, fuel filter, 2" of rubber then a really convoluted steel line to the carb.   

So what I think I wil end up doing is keeping the short rubber to the pump, throw in a new filter (since Im messing with it anyway), and bend a new line from the filter to the carb.  So regarding that, do most people route it behind the alternator brakets and then down to the pump?

Thanks for the help!

MS

cudaken

If it is in the budget I would buy the peformed line from the fuel pump up. Steel line can be hard to bend with out getting knicks.

Plus if you don't get it right and you hit the Alt you will fry your wiring. I did that on my 68 Runner. Was using braid stain less steel line and doing a 3:00 AM finaly clean for a car show. Got a little sloppy and fryed it. Luckly I had a spare. ;)

Cuda Ken
I am back

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres how I have mine.....the 440HP has a vapor seperator that has I believe a filter inside it.......( I hope so because I dont have any other filter in line   :-[  )
The other pic is the hard lines to the carb (Holley 750) that were made by Fabulous Fabrications
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

I run a regular filter just before the pump, then the steel lines to the vapor separator pictured above. There
is a filter in the fuel vapor separator but I don't think it as effective as a regular filter, plus running a another
filter before the pump will help save the expensive separator from getting clogged.

This is the fuel line I like to run on my AVS carbs stock replacement, I bought a couple from YO.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Headrope

I've got a '66, so do not have the separator, but thought I'd offer a suggestion for those reading who aren't worried about factory appearance: relocate the fuel filter.

It's stock location (about where the separator is located in 8Wheeler's pic) is a pain to get to. You practically have to remove the alternator just to change the fuel filter.

I relocated mine to be just before the carburetor. It looks clean, and is - for the most part - covered by the air cleaner, making it difficult to even see.

Just an idea.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

8WHEELER

That is why I have a filter just before the pump, like I said so I will not have to deal with the seporator again.
I have had the fuel filter before the pump in every charger I have every had and never had any problems.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Headrope

I think you have a great idea. I was merely making a suggestion for the folks who do not have a separator. For grins I'm going to switch to a see through filter - see how much junk I'm actually putting into my engine instead of looking at a shiny, chromed filter housing.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

MadScientist

All great suggestions!  Thanks a bunch!  The one question I have though is if I go with a prebent hard line made for my 383 and Im running neither a stock fuel pump or a stock carb, what kind of mess will I be in when it comes to the fittings?

MS