News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rusty fasteners

Started by bull, October 25, 2005, 01:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm looking at buying a '68 that has a fairly nice but older repaint. There are some rust issues but one thing I noticed that bothers me is almost all the fasteners are rusty. It's like they took the fenders, hood and other componants off to paint the car but didn't bother to paint the bolts when they put her back together so now the fasteners are all rusty and some have left rust streaks down the paint. Can the rust streaks be removed w/o damaging the paint? And how do you deal with the fasteners? Should I remove them 10 at a time, blast them, prime and paint them or what?

Drop Top

Try a little rubbing compound on the rust streaks. As far as the bolts go your on the right track. Just remember to pay attention to the shims that come out and where they come from. Don't take too many out at one time. If the bolts can be seen. Clean the bolts. Put them back on. Tape them off and air brush them. Or use a touch up gun to spray them.

cudaken

:iagree: Bull. OK, little bored tonight.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Silver R/T

would be nice to replace them all with stainless steel
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 28, 2005, 11:33:29 PM
would be nice to replace them all with stainless steel

Yes it would. I am a big stainless steel bolt changer-outer. When I see bolts rusting in my vehicles I usually toss them and replace with stainless. I think many of the fasteners on Chargers are specialized though so it wouldn't be an easy task.