News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New "Personal Best"with INDY SR Heads

Started by Challenger340, March 10, 2009, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

I gotta be Nuts !
Try as I might, I've been unsuccessful in talking one of my Customers into a NEW set of Heads, or changing to better Rocker Arms.

Suffice to say, I get to refreshen his Engine about every 2 years, sporting the "wrong" Heads, a set of INDY SR Castings on a 540 Mopar BB. I say WRONG because even though I've ported & developed these SR Heads to death, it's my firm belief that they are just too small for a 540 Inch Engine.
Common sense would agree with me, but, the Customer is always right eventually, and I can't argue with the Customer too much, because he runs very well, is consistent, and Happy with it.

So anyways, the 540 busted it's Crank off at the Rear Flange, due to a Transmission explosion, so it was back early(less then 100 runs) for a repair. First time it's ever had any sort of problem, "Old Faithful", (albeit the Trans fault), but it usually just goes round after round !

I was successful in talking him into a NEW Crank Obviously, (as his was beyond welding LOL), and time for some new Rods, and "as usual", I always go looking for a "bit more" in the INDY SR Heads, which I always massage a little more, but still 2.19 Stock valve, and no welding. I'm a "sick man" !

Ok, I'll get the dyno Sheet up here shortly, but in a Nutshell, heres the Power and a quick breakdown of Parts using Ported INDY SR Heads.

849.2 hp @ 6700 rpm and 753 ft/lb Torque @ 5100 rpm

Mopar Mega Block
4.5" Bore
4.25" Crank(440 source)
7.100" H-Beams(440 source)
J.E. Forged slugs @ 13.7:1 C.R.
INDY "SR" Heads, much Porting with R&D
Custom Comp. Solid Roller Cam @.690" Lift, uses only 230 # seat pressure, easy on Springs !
Crane Gold Rocker Arms, YES, CRANE GOLD's, THATS NOT A MISPRINT ! We just change them out about every 250 pulls.
INDY Intake
1150 cfm Dominator.
Moroso 7 qt Pan & Pickup

This is a frigg'in ECONOMICAL Engine, that goes hundreds of rounds and DON'T BREAK PARTS !

Watch for the guy at Vegas next week in the White 74 Dart Sport. He's the one does the 100 ft wheelies then just "gently" places the front down, running real high 8's N/A.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Bob, those are great power numbers out of the SR's  :cheers:

What does the car weigh ?

The Moroso slide rule is showing 8.75 @ 155 with a raceweight of 3000lbs.  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mopar_nut_440_6

Wish I was going to Vegas to see that. I love it when a car carries the front tires past the 60 ft tree and sets them down. Maybe one day...

I may just have to put my stroker in the Duster!!

Great engine and nice numbers!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

tan top

:o  thats a nice combo ..awesome stuff :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 11, 2009, 12:29:13 AM
Bob, those are great power numbers out of the SR's  :cheers:

What does the car weigh ?

The Moroso slide rule is showing 8.75 @ 155 with a raceweight of 3000lbs.  :coolgleamA:

Ron

Hi Ron
The 849.2 number is with a 1250 Dominator(borrowed to test) and the Dyno 2 1/8 Headers.

Running "normally" as installed, he's only using a 1050 Carb and 2" headers built for his car, which was still good for low 830's hp on the Dyno. Thats what he'll use in Vegas next week, so given that and a 2100 ft elevation at Vegas, he'll be in tough to crack an 8 with the 2850lb car, but we'll see I guess. The mph should still be "ballpark" though.

I have to get the Dyno sheets up next week.
I'll post 2 sheets, 1 with the 1050 & 2", the other on the 1250 & 2 1/8".

I should clarify here,
DON'T you guys use INDY SR's on this big an Engine !
Much easier to make the power with better Heads like the 440-1 or 572 stuff. I just think it's kind of humorous when he pulls a Valve Cover to set lash, and guys look at Crane Gold Rockers on SR's and comment, "WTF" ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 11, 2009, 09:55:17 AM
I just think it's kind of humorous when he pulls a Valve Cover to set lash, and guys look at Crane Gold Rockers on SR's and comment, "WTF" ?

I'm sure that is a head scratcher for most folks looking at the engine combo. Sometimes you just nail the combo and the stars line up in perfect unison.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm going to try something similarly unorthadox later this year ; 572ci with reworked CNC'd 295 EZ's, 10.8:1, custom roller etc....

Looking forward to those dyno sheets.  :2thumbs:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

It's the "unorthodox" builds, where a guy sometimes "learns" more about things, like "area under the curve", Cam Profiles, Port Balance, Quench & scavenging, etc., etc.

In fact, Sometimes with the "goofy stuff", ALOT of what a guy "thought" he knew, based upon "tried and true" accepted principles, gets thrown out the window, in favor of the new "discoveries" that make a guy feel stupid and wondering WHY !
Shakes a guys confidence and the "arrogance" about some things ?
Least thats what I've found.

Real easy these days, almost "childplay", to build 800-850-900-950 hp stuff on 528-540-572 Engines using commonly known principles, and the "right parts" including Heads. It's a no-brainer for me and many others.

Without getting too long winded here, try and keep an open mind on your 572/EZ deal.  If ya can figure out what "it don't like", it becomes easier to figure out what it "WILL Like", even if yer brain says "that can't be right" ?
BINGO !
Now why did that work ?

I posted over at Moparts, I'm trying to find out what the most Power achieved on an SR Head has been without welding or busting, and on a 2.19 Valve.

I think I learned something recently, that will go in the "useless info" drawer. But I hate goofy shit happening that I can't explain, throws me for a loop ! We even stopped and recalibrated the Dyno on the second day to be sure !

:Twocents:
Bob out.

idahogrumpy

Isn't this fun!!!!!  :smilielol: Boy do I wish I could watch you work for a while. ;D Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

firefighter3931

Bob, you make some good points. It's easy to follow the "established" recipies to achieve a desired result, but what fun is that. I like a challenge and it's allways more fun to make more with less. R&D in the dyno room is a lot of fun !

Ron