News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top care

Started by bakerhillpins, April 30, 2012, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

All

Stupid question time... any input on how to care for a vinyl top? Is a good wash followed by Armor All the way to go or should I use something else? Anything to avoid?

:cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

resq302

I would avoid Armor All as there has been info saying it dries it out and cracks it.  I have been using Meguirs #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner followed by Meguiars #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and conditioner and it has kept my pearl white top looking brand new.  Only bad thing is if we get a rain shower, it usually washes it off.  But for as often as my charger gets stuck out in the rain, I can deal with it!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71ChallengeHer

I agree with, Brian. No Armor All. Stick with Megular's .that's what I use.

Fred

I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's good for vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather and fibreglass. It has 100% spf 40 protection against uv rays as well .
BUT most importantly it's silicone free.
It's excellent.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger Downunder

Quote from: Fred on May 01, 2012, 12:17:03 AM
I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's good for vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather and fibreglass. It has 100% spf 40 protection as well against uv rays.
It's excellent.
I use this too good stuff.
[/quote]

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

MoPar_440

Quote from: Fred on May 01, 2012, 12:17:03 AM
I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's good for vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather and fibreglass. It has 100% spf 40 protection against uv rays as well .
It's excellent.

Thats 4 of us!! STAY AWAY FROM ARMOR ALL PLEASE!!!! It is the worst stuff, i wouldnt even clean my wheels with that rubbish!! :D
Aerospace Protectant is the way to go  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

resq302

When I used the Aerospace 303 stuff on my tonneau cover, it always ended up leaving black streaks on the paint after a rain storm.  Maybe they have changed the formula since 2005 but since then Ive had good luck with the Meguiars stuff and had no reason to change.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

tan top

not sure if this is any help , as mine never goes out in the rain to get  road dirt /dust worked into the grain when wet  ,
come to think of it i never wash it either , blow it off &  just leather it down

blow the roof off with compressed air ! & an old water base takrag  not pressing hard just run it over  , then  with soapy water on a dampish leather , wipe the roof , then do same with  just clean water  :yesnod: takes 5 minutes most  :yesnod:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

I could have sworn I just saw this topic covered somewhere else...  :scratchchin:
Can't find the thread.

I use a product called RaggTopp.
http://www.wolfsteins.com/product-vp.htm

It's designed specifically for vinyl & convertible tops.

The Meguiars Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner does work VERY well to clean.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

+1 for 303. Silicon free too and has a UV protectant.   :yesnod:

Armor All is the worst. Look at all the cracked dashpads of the 80's - 90's. I was told Armor All doesn't allow the vinyl to breath thus causing cracking over time. I'd use it on my tires and nothing else. Also stay away from silicone based products.

bakerhillpins

Felt kinda stupid asking but glad I did.

Thanks all!   :2thumbs:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Dino

You mean you got yours outta storage before mine!?   And I have to wait until next Saturday which seems years away!  :RantExplode:

J/K, go clean that puppy and drive!   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Yup... picked her up Saturday morning.  Had a huge smile on my face all day.  ;D

Put quite a few miles on her already.   Yippe for me.  :dance:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire