News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help buying a 68 charger.

Started by NTcharger, April 25, 2012, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTcharger

I am going to fulfill my childhood dreams and buy a 1968 dodge charger. I am stumped on how much I should expect to pay for one to snag a great deal. I am not particularly after a super rare hemi powered r/t. I am leaning more towards a 318 or 383 powered car so I can build a 440 big block to replace it (I'm not looking for a superb resale value, Im more after driving the thing on a regular basis and making my life complete) does anyone have any goodie as to how much I should pay for one of these chargers in the US? I'll give some more details of what I am looking for. I am looking for a car that isn't completely rusty, but will require a little bit of work, such as engine rebuild, new paint job and interior. But if you could give me a price guide on a slightly rusted project too, that would be great. Thank you!

chargermike

you should be able to find something like that for around 7 grand. ttry to find a west coast car..less rust. good luck and have fun when you find one

NTcharger

Thank you, would you be able to run me by some sites that I can find some of these examples? I'm from Australia and looking at importing a charger over, so I can't just look in car yards  :'( I found this, but for the price given, it just seems to good to be true... http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1968-Dodge-Charger-730403.xhtml?conversationId=98192

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NTcharger on April 25, 2012, 07:25:18 AM
Thank you, would you be able to run me by some sites that I can find some of these examples? I'm from Australia and looking at importing a charger over, so I can't just look in car yards  :'( I found this, but for the price given, it just seems to good to be true... http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1968-Dodge-Charger-730403.xhtml?conversationId=98192

The old adage rings true on that one..  It's a scam.  There are several folks on this site who are/were in the same situation you find yourself. Hopefully they will chime in with their experiences concerning overseas purchases.  It might help if you alter the title of your thread so that it's clear that you are looking for advice on overseas purchases.

In the meantime there are several threads recently concerning folks just entering the Charger market which may provide you with some general Charger purchase information.

One example:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91070.0.html

Good Luck!   :cheers:  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

41husk

I sold a very nice 68 Charger that went to Australia.  The buyer is a member here G-man.  I believe he was trying to sell it and if my memorie serves me it cost him 10K in shipping and import taxes and such.  I believe he was wanting to sell it and a project charger as well to buy a supercar :shruggy:  it might save you a bunch of money if you can find a car in country :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hatersaurusrex

It can vary wildly depending on the condition and rarity.   I gave 8500 for mine which is probably close to what you're looking for. It's a 68 non R/T car that has a straight body/good undercarriage, running 383/727, and aside from needing new buckets all the other parts are on the car (minus a couple small things).   Will need floorpan work but otherwise ok on the rust side..   Plus it was only 30 mins away from my restorer up in TN so I saved a ton of time not having to ship/haul it around.

I think a big piece of advice and one I kind of lucked into, is try to find a complete a car as possible in terms of small things, because those things can add up quickly.   If you're going to replace the engine and tranny, who cares?  But if the car is a shell and missing all the interior and trim, and has no motor or trans, then unless it's a very rare fender tag you shouldn't give more than a couple grand for it, because you'll spend 30+ more in parts alone replacing all that.    If it's a relatively rust free car with no motor or trans but has all its body panels, you could give more, and for a complete runner and driver that needs TLC I wouldn't go over 10K (unless the car is rare/desireable)   There are too many cars that are in really good shape out there for 20-30K to spend more than 10 or 12 on one that needs anything more than TLC and sweat.

Just my 2 cents after 2 years of searching and finally hitting what I think was a decent deal that satisfied me.  You should have seen my old man's face when I told him I spent 8500 on a 45 year old car that needed a whole new trunk welded in.    He's always been the pragmatist in our family, lol.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Darkman

What part of Australia are you from?
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

NTcharger

472 R/T SE

Do you plan on flying over here to look at it?

If not, you need to find someone trustworthy to give you an unbiased opinion of the car.  There's too many horror stories of you folks getting the shaft once the car arrives.