News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Wheel Question?????

Started by wldside, April 08, 2009, 11:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wldside

So I have done the search on this site on 15 x 10" rear wheels with a 295 50 R15 tire and have noticed that many suggest a 5" to a 5 1/2" backspacing.  I am in the process of locating some Vector wheels to replace the Torque Thrusts that I have and noticed that the guy that I bought my 69 Charger form had put on 15 x 10" with the 295 50 R15 with a 3.77" backspacing.  I have always loved the way it looks, but upon closer investigation, I can see evidence of the outer wheelwell lip rubbing and causing light groves on the sidewalls.  It isn't real bad, and doesn't look like it rubbed all that much.  Is it possible that I could be ok running this combination as long as I always make sure that the air shocks are full?  When they are dialed up where I like them, it looks to have plenty of room.  I do have poly rear suspension bushings now with the standard springs.  The problem is I really don't know how these cars respond as I only drove it twice before I disassembled it 3.5 years ago.   :shruggy:

Thanks for you help,
Dave

b5blue

When you run the car "jacked up" like that you put the suspension geometry all off. You angle your caster too much and now your front end has to bounce up and forward at the same time. With air shocks the force of rear pre loads is transferred to the upper shock mount bracket making the rear more prone to sway in cornering, even if you used off set upper control bushings to off set the caster in the upper control arms, the lowers are "fixed" position so they have to go forward and up on every bounce. All of this means keep the chassis level or handling and ride go to poop, if anything you want to lower the car front and rear to lower your center of gravity!  :Twocents: