News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick question on 383 B engine

Started by MYTMOPR, October 11, 2005, 10:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYTMOPR

Friend of mine has overheating problem. He's currently got the heads off and noticed some of the water jackets don't line up and the gasket only has small slots where the jackets are. So he thinks that's whats causing the problem. From what he's told me, the block and heads are from different years. To me, there is nothing wrong with the heads and block, but I'm not too savy with 383's. Alittle help will go along way, Thanx!

Chryco Psycho

the holes are restricted by the head gasket so that is not the problem

Steve P.

I agree with Neil.. Have you checked the gaskets for a break?? How about the rest of the system?? What has been done and checked??

Overheating sucks..........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Headrope

Wouldn't it improve things if the slots in the head gasket were the same shape as the water jackets? I'm not following so far.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Chryco Psycho

not nessisaily , if the slots are opened up the flow could go down into the block instead of back to the rear of the heads , so the rear ofo the cylinder heads may never get coolant circulated to the rear

max

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 02, 2005, 02:04:17 AM
not nessisaily , if the slots are opened up the flow could go down into the block instead of back to the rear of the heads , so the rear ofo the cylinder heads may never get coolant circulated to the rear

i agree and from what i have read i believe the term used is hot spots. so don't modify the head gaskets.