News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new windshield and rubber seal are already installed...what about sealant?

Started by Blakcharger440, September 17, 2009, 06:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Can sealant on a 70 Charger front windshield be applied after the windshield and rubber have been installed? I had a company come out and install the front windshield and seal but never did use any sealant on it at all so the front windshield leaks really bad!

Will the windshield and rubber seal have to be taken out and then sealant applied to the channel or can sealant be applied without taking the window or rubber seal back out so it doenst leak anymore?

b5blue

FSM says sealant in groove for glass and slot for metal both, if you don't it will keep leaking. Mine still leaks between glass and rubber because I was sure it didn't need it. 3M #08509 is the stuff your looking for, the problem is the glass/rubber/metal all expand/contract and shift around slightly. Once dirt/moisture start getting in there no sealant will stick well enough to work. Best thing to do is pull it clean/prep and install correctly. 

ipstrategies

I had a similar problem a few years ago. The installer that came out was not that familiar with old cars and installed same as new car. Next time we  washed the  car it leaked like crazy.
I called them back and the owner came out apologized for his installer and reinstalled it no charge I was missing trim clips he told me to bring it to his shop and he would install trim no charge. He tried to sell me his olds convertible after seeing my charger.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

The70RT

The lower area is prone to rusting out. I could see if no sealer was applied that it would hold moisture everytime it got wet. I think I will put a thin coating of sealer on the bottom lip when I install mine.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

b5blue

Take it from me... blow a fair amount of bedding/glazing compound all around everywhere, and between the glass and rubber too!

Blakcharger440

Quote from: The70RT on September 17, 2009, 07:01:51 PM
The lower area is prone to rusting out. I could see if no sealer was applied that it would hold moisture everytime it got wet. I think I will put a thin coating of sealer on the bottom lip when I install mine.

There is absolutely no rust in the windshield area. When I did the bodywork on the car I took it down to bare metal,conditioned the metal,etch primed,primed and it was painted.

The installer told me no sealer was applied as id didnt need it,but i should have remembered that when I sanded out the channel that there was black sealant residue there!  ::)

Hemidog

b5blue

That is why there was no rust! (The stuff cleans up OK so don't skimp)  :2thumbs:

oldgold69

you use liquid butyl rubber it is like a thin tar. with your weatherstrip unzipped  put the butyl between the rubber and the glass and around the seal against metal pinchweld. before you put the seal and windshield in the car. the factory put seam sealer on the pinchweld where it was real uneven where the parts are spotwelded together. then they put in the seal  then they pumped the butyl in between the seal and pinchweld. they put the glass in and sealed the glass then they zipped up the window.