News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 out of a 78 RV? Worth the while?

Started by WindJammer, December 01, 2013, 08:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindJammer

I have a 72 Charger with a 400 magnum-matching numbers. And considering pulling the origional engine aside for safe keeping and dropping a 440 in it. I found one for 400 bucks with 727 transmission. Its out of a 78 RV, guy says the engine turns over.

Not sure if there is a match or not. I currently have a 400 magnum with automatic trans :shruggy:mission.

Are engines out of RVs different? Stroke etc.
1978 engine vs a 1972
Engine mounts required?

Does anyone have Any thoughts?      
:shruggy:

Kern Dog

As the cars and trucks with 440s thin out, these motorhome 440s seem to keep trickling in.
The main drawback to the motorhome 440s is the low compression ratio. The block is fine. The heads are fine. The pistons sit very low in the hole at TDC though. I'd be surprised to find more than 7.5 CR in any RV 440.
These make great engines to rebuild though. The 413 RVs were often fitted with the industrial heads, intake, exhaust and water pumps. None of those parts are compatible with traditional B or RB engines in cars or light trucks. Most if not all 440s though used regular type heads and intakes, though they sometimes had the raised water pump design that fed water through the front of the heads through the core plug holes. These holes can be blocked off with a core/freeze/frost plug as they are in traditional car and truck spplications.

A383Wing

some had the smaller 5/8 peanut spark plug as well

skip68

I believe the tranny can't be used as most had transfer brakes.   Some changes have to be made to the motor but overall they work.   BUT, like said, compression will be way lower.     However, you can build a nice street motor from on.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

I believe the tranny "can" be used. They have to swap out the tail shaft and housing though. Maybe John Kunkle can chime in here but I believe the truck tranny has extra clutches?  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dodgetee

one good thing about the low compression is its good to run a supercharger  :2thumbs:

Aero426

If you are not drag racing weekly, I would keep the original 400 "stored" in your car.   No better place for it.   

Fitz73Chrgr

Build up that 400 and keep it in the car  :Twocents:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

WindJammer

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 02, 2013, 12:08:42 AM
As the cars and trucks with 440s thin out, these motorhome 440s seem to keep trickling in.
The main drawback to the motorhome 440s is the low compression ratio. The block is fine. The heads are fine. The pistons sit very low in the hole at TDC though. I'd be surprised to find more than 7.5 CR in any RV 440.
These make great engines to rebuild though. The 413 RVs were often fitted with the industrial heads, intake, exhaust and water pumps. None of those parts are compatible with traditional B or RB engines in cars or light trucks. Most if not all 440s though used regular type heads and intakes, though they sometimes had the raised water pump design that fed water through the front of the heads through the core plug holes. These holes can be blocked off with a core/freeze/frost plug as they are in traditional car and truck spplications.

Thanks for the input. Im just getting started with research on how to approach a restore. My Dad bought the car brand new in 72, everything is origional and in fair condition. I would like to find a decent 440 engine get it on the stand and heat it up with some real horse power for the street. Im new here and have read alot of really helpfull advice. Im going to need it! Thanks again

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: dodgetee on December 02, 2013, 06:20:19 PM
one good thing about the low compression is its good to run a supercharger  :2thumbs:

That's what I was about to say...run a blower on that sob she be screaming.