News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting to manual brakes (73 Charger)

Started by FLG, January 17, 2011, 05:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

The car will have 4 wheel disk brakes

From what i gather a properly setup manual system will have just as much stopping power as a power system but will require a bit more pedal pressure, also manual brakes should give more of a "feel" than power brakes, which should be a good thing.

Also i see this as a benefit because like most of us, we want bigger engines...that means more aggressive cam profiles and that means by by power assist. As of now my 446 will have plenty of vac for power assisted brakes, but i know damn well in 2-3 years im going to want bigger and well id rather spend less later...also makes a engine swap a bit easier as i wont have to modify anything else.

Does anyone know the required parts to complete this conversion??

Is this all i need??

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ma1bowimoha1.html

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mamacyadnst.html

:2thumbs:

71charger_fan

I'm using a Raybestos MC36406 master cylinder on my '71 with 4-wheel manual disks. It's the one recommended by Dr. Diff when I got my rear disk setup from him a couple of years ago. If you're switching from power brakes, you might need a different MC pushrod.

charger2fast4u

are you set on going with a manual setup for the better feel of the brakes?  or is going with a bigger engine later on pushing you away from getting power assist brakes? if so have you thought about going with a hydroboost setup? i'm debating which way i want to go i got SSBC 4 wheel discs and not sure if i want to stay with the stock manual setup or go to power assist. if i go power i would probably need the hydroboost setup as i to will be having a hard time getting good vacuum with the high HP motor

FLG

Thanks chargerfan.

2fast, the beginning of your post sounds like a infomercial lool  :smilielol:

The thing with the hydro boost is cost, this car is costing too much already and as much as id love to add alll the bells and whistles I simply can't afford them all. Future maybe, but for now I just want a good manual setup.

charger2fast4u

Hahaha now that I read it your right I know all to well how that gos bigger plans with no moneys the manual setup will be just fine and easier to install to good luck with the build  :cheers: