News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FLG, TROY, ALL COMPUTER WIZARDS. NEED GUIDANCE ON A PURCHASE

Started by mikepmcs, May 06, 2010, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Here is a link to the Dell system I am looking at for my photo processing.  I need a desktop that can run Photoshop CS4, Lightroom, at least 3 more space hungry photo processing programs.  This computer will strictly be used for photography, processing raw images and internet of course to manage web site, etc....  I am looking for the obvious.....lightning fast with no delay while manipulating. I need help and need to be within a budget because there is so much more that I need as well besides this computer.

Here is what I'm looking at and i'm not focusing on the monitor(it is sufficient for now until I can afford much better)
My questions are this.  Is it enough for what I want to do.
Is it too much for what I want to do
If I can get it done with less than please educate me.

I like Dell BTW.  I will not even entertain a MAC.

I'm looking at the XPS9000 on the far right of the page.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/deals/performance_desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Thanks
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MoparManJim

If I was you, I would steer clear of the Dells man, belive, this is coming from a guy that went through 2 Dells things in one week alone!  :brickwall: 

Try Compaq or HP as they have a good name brand of stuff and there stuff holds up very well. 

I'm with a Sony now that is like Hp and Compaq stuff  :2thumbs: not no D E L L stuff anymore. I like to take the D out and replace it with H instead  :lol: :lol: 

I think you would have better luck for what you want to use a pc for with a HP or other system. But each his/there own though. 

bakerhillpins

+1 on the Dell haters club here too. Not been happy with the stuff that I HAVE to work on at the office. Its been crap for many years now.

I have a Toshiba and a Gateway at home that have treated me very well...  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

vancamp

we have 2 compaqs and a toshiba with no issues, have dells in the school where my wife works with nothing but problems

bull

Why not Mac? They are known for being the best for Photo manipulation, page and graphics design. :shruggy:

mikepmcs

I appreciate everyones opinion on what they like and dislike.  I'm looking for an answer on the original post and not to get into a debate on what computer  manufacturer is bad or good. 

This is the system I'm looking at and curious to know if the processor , HD, etc... is enough to handle the load I'm going to put on it and not slow me down.    :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Todd Wilson

I just got a Core 2 Quad with 8gig ram  and it dont stop for anything. The more you give it the more it does. Your processor is the newer one from mine and should be a tad faster so I would say you are ok.  Windows 7 kicks ass  and I very rarely use 3gig out of 8 of my ram.  I wonder how much of your software wuold use the video processor for its stuff. You may want the hottest video card as well.My NVIDIA has a co processor on board.

I can put BOINC on 100% processor usage and still do all my other stuff with no troubles. The computer seems to take a second after you click to do something but the doing is just as fast as it is without 100% utilization.

I've had 4 Dells and they all have been fine. 2 of them are 5 months old now the other is 10 years old and still going and another one is 5 years old with no troubles.

Todd

FLG

Mike,

IMO it would be more than adequate to do what you want.

Another note.

When it comes to manufactures, theres nothing wrong with dell. But might i suggest building one for you?

When it comes to budget PC's i really cant help beat any prices (its hard when a pc is selling for a few hundred dollars) but on those high end builds the company's do quite a padding. Im willing to bet i can build a PC identical to that dell for hundreds less (i dont want to put my foot in my mouth just yet as i havent priced new components in awhile). Let me piece something together tonight or tomorrow and see what price i could come up with. Plus you get free FLG tech support  :2thumbs:

Did a VERY quick scramble price list (i just buy all my stuff off newegg so im not getting any kind of discount) and i just about put my foot in my mouth. I at first thought the dell was 1900 but after looking it think it comes out to 1300 or so, tough to beat but very possible.

With photography its more about RAM than processing power. Those programs love to use up your RAM so the more you have the better off you are.

Its late and im not running at 100%, but come the morning ill try to help ya out. If you want im sure you have my number, just call.

BTW Windows 7 is quite good, but im still all for XP.

mikepmcs

Thanks Frank.  My issue is cash flow. I can pull the trigger on the Dell system and pay it off in 9 months interest free. or, I can get one from Best Buy as well interest free for 18 months. The cash I have, I really need to have it for a high dollar printer, which is next.  I just got a hold of photoshop cs4($$) and it's on its way.

Thanks again all.

Frank, you can build my next computer for me when I can afford some better technology. SDD, etc..... :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 06, 2010, 09:16:12 PM
I appreciate everyones opinion on what they like and dislike.  I'm looking for an answer on the original post and not to get into a debate on what computer  manufacturer is bad or good. 

This is the system I'm looking at and curious to know if the processor , HD, etc... is enough to handle the load I'm going to put on it and not slow me down.    :cheers:

Like and dislike aside, I was trying to impart that even if the core components are up to the job, if the system has problems or just plain old sucks then you are not going to get anything done either. I live off of PCs (software engineer) and what I can get accomplished in a day is just as dependent upon the tool's usability as it is upon it's performance.  :cheers:

I would think that you would want to have a 10k RPM drive as well. Doesn't look like that is an option on that system.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

FLG

I was also looking for the 10k option.

But I'm thinking for the marginal increase it might not be worth it. The program will be more ram intensive than anything and I think mike rather have space than only a slight increase in speed. The 10k sata drives top out at 600gb atm. Which is more than adequate but having 1tb might be what mike needs.

Troy

I once had the "requirements" for Photoshop but I can't seem to find them now. For editing, it likes lots of Ram - which that system has and so does the video card. For the images you're producing you'll need lots of hard drive space as well - just not right away. I use a 10k drive for the OS, swap, and programs but my data drives are plain old 7200 rpm SATA. Cheap to add or replace! Once the image is loaded into the editor the hard drive isn't a factor any way so a slightly slower drive may not even be an issue. I'd upgrade once it proves to be a problem. Processor speed is nice but not the top priority for Photoshop. However, it becomes much more important for any rendering so think about what other applications you'll be running and check their specs too! The i7 is the latest and greatest I believe. I don't know much about the video card as I haven't really kept up with them for the last couple of years. The 24" HD monitor will be way cool (I have one at home).

I haven't had any issues with any Dell systems that I've had to work with and the support (for accidentally broken stuff) has always been good. I'm with FLG - I can't build a PC with similar or better components cheaper than Dell (especially if I have to include the OS) so I stopped building them for friends and just point them to the order page. I'll build my own only because I can order hardware that Dell doesn't offer (more bleeding edge type stuff).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mikepmcs

ok, awesome stuff guys.  I'm going to call Dell and get it ordered tonight. 

One more question on the internet hookup stuff.  It has the option of a 56k and fax modem and a wireless card (N).  ie:they are not included. I want to be able to put this desk top anywhere so I know I need to get the wireless card, right??It's $40 extra.  i have a wireless router already that my dell laptop uses when I'm cruising around the house.

Is this something I need to be including??(fax modem)

also to answer the other questions.  I will be running the PS CS4 program, HDR software, not too hungry, Topaz editing suite, couple others but PS4 seems to be the big one.  I don't play video games and this will strictly be for light internet use and rendering photos and printing them to one of 3(hopefully) Epson printers....7900, 9900, and the 4880.
The cameras will be a Nikon D3s and D3x(don't have them yet) and I shoot in Raw format meaning each snap of the shutter is roughly 57meg and that is with my D80 i'm using now.  Times that 57meg by at least 5 exposures for every picture and I normally take anywhere from 20-100 shots at a time and download them into Lightroom(kind of like the darkroom for my RAW digital photos)
I just don't want to be hung up waiting forever for the download from the camera to lightroom and then lightroom to folders, then to photoshop and when I make an adjustment I want it in real time, like now not sitting there waiting for the progress bar for the slightest change.
I will have no other programs on this computer. Strictly for photography stuff.
Thanks
Mike

Troy

At least the second one from the right says it has a 10/100 card but the far right one doesn't. It's integrated so I doubt they remove it from one model. You have to run an ethernet cable to your router. Otherwise, a wireless card is a good idea.

No need for a fax/modem unless you need to fax someone from your computer or you live so far out in the sticks that you have to use dial up.

You can add any more RAM - upgrade to 12 GB for $100 - so that's probably a smart idea. A 57 MB file in editing mode might use 400-500 MB or more.

Sounds like you're going to need more hard drive space. You can upgrade to 1.5 TB for $100 or 2 TB for $200. Again, I'd probably wait and see how fast you're filling up the original drive and add an external drive for long term storage/backup.

You're limited on processor upgrades and they're expensive so I'd hang with what it comes with. I have a quad core processor in mine and Photoshop is multi-processor aware.

If you want anything more "instantaneous" I think you'll need to spend more money (or rob Dreamworks). I've played on some "good" workstations and I remember them costing as much as a new car (not to mention the fiber optic cabling and server storage).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RD

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 06, 2010, 10:39:57 PM
I've had 4 Dells and they all have been fine. 2 of them are 5 months old now the other is 10 years old and still going and another one is 5 years old with no troubles.

Todd

I have had my dell for 3 years now and no issues at all.. works great.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on May 07, 2010, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 06, 2010, 10:39:57 PM

Todd

I have had my dell for 3 years now and no issues at all.. works great.

Except its really slow on SETI! HA!

Todd

Mefirst

"..computer wizards..."

The correct term for these people is either NERD or GEEK :nana:

My :Twocents:

FLG

Ya damn skippy...we also all wear glasses (at least i do)

But how many of em drive a mopar? And love workin on cars as well?

:2thumbs:

:shruggy:

chargergirl

Quote from: Mefirst on May 09, 2010, 04:11:44 PM
"..computer wizards..."

The correct term for these people is either NERD or GEEK :nana:

My :Twocents:
Serious Geek here...I tried to kill the bugs on my screen...freaked out and am being laughed at as we speak. Thanks...the only problem with most Dells is that ones bought enmass never have enough RAM, memory or peripherals...I have one Dell avg capacity, one mini, one Sony Vaio, and a built 250 gig, four core that sits because it gliches...hmmm just make sure you have enough to power what you need...and remember a gig is not that expensive and fairly easy to put in IF your computer can take it.
Trust your Woobie!

mikepmcs

Computer will be here Tuesday latest.   :icon_smile_big:
Unbelievable what you have to spend money on to take photos these days.  :lol:

quick rundown

i7 920 8mb cache 2.66ghz
9gb ddr3 at 1066mhz
nvidia 240 vid card
1tb sata II hard drive @7200
and a 24" monitor(it'll do for a start) I'll pick up some HDMI hook ups this weekend for it.  Comes with rgb crap.
$1389

strictly for photography use so I think it will be able to handle the load for now.
future easy upgrades will be ram to 24mb and a hotter video card for when i start to do time lapse tilt shift vids(future stuff)