News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can you use header wrap as a heat shield on a converter?

Started by police1, September 01, 2010, 01:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

does anyone know if you can use header wrap on a converter to keep the heat away from the floor boards? my old metal heat shiled rusted off of my truck and i thought that might be the easiest remedy... :shruggy: :shruggy:

UFO

I would say no.
Those things get real hot and that wrap would just hold in even more heat.

Mr.Woolery

Super Nerd tip:  Use architectural aerogel sheeting.  Aerogel filled sheets will work better than anything currently manmade.

FYI:  Aerogel is awesome stuff.  Least dense solid known to man, nearly perfect insulator.  Looks like pink fog...a 1/4" thick sheet of it between your skin and an acetalyne torch at point blank range and you wouldn't feel any heat at all through the aerogel sheet. 

NASA researchers made thin windblocker jackets using a thin layer of aerogel as an insulating layer, and tested it in Antarctica.  The jackets were impractical because they were too warm!  :rofl:

You'll start to see it used all over the place in the coming years as it becomes more available, but for now it's only commercially available for architectural use as an insulator.

Look it up. ;)
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

A383Wing

Quote from: UFO on September 03, 2010, 06:06:11 PM
I would say no.
Those things get real hot and that wrap would just hold in even more heat.

yea..what he said....the cats have to expel the heat they make...wrapping it will melt it down real quick

TylerCharger69

Now you can fabricate a heat shield and wrap THAT with header wrap to keep the heat from the floor pans...but  not the converter itself

Tilar

Quote from: Mr.Woolery on September 03, 2010, 06:44:36 PM
Super Nerd tip:  Use architectural aerogel sheeting.  Aerogel filled sheets will work better than anything currently manmade.

FYI:  Aerogel is awesome stuff.  Least dense solid known to man, nearly perfect insulator.  Looks like pink fog...a 1/4" thick sheet of it between your skin and an acetalyne torch at point blank range and you wouldn't feel any heat at all through the aerogel sheet. 

NASA researchers made thin windblocker jackets using a thin layer of aerogel as an insulating layer, and tested it in Antarctica.  The jackets were impractical because they were too warm!  :rofl:

You'll start to see it used all over the place in the coming years as it becomes more available, but for now it's only commercially available for architectural use as an insulator.

Look it up. ;)

Man that's some pretty cool stuff.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.