News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning aluminum fabbed valve covers

Started by FLG, September 10, 2010, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Whats the best way to clean aluminum valve covers? The non polished type.

:2thumbs:

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Chatt69chgr

I'm thinking if they are fabricated smooth unpainted aluminum and not polished like you say, then why not some 0000 steel wool and dishwashing liquid and water.  Then blow dry with compressed air.  If they are not coated after that, they will be susceptable to corrosion.  Could clean with laquer thinner and then shoot with clear coat to help protect them. 

FLG

Thank Guys!

I was thinking that as well, i used some steel wool and they came out nice  :2thumbs:

I think maybe just some aluminum cleaner to keep em clean?