News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3.5l HO noise

Started by Eversbane, September 07, 2020, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eversbane

Happy Labor Day!
I have not been active here but we do still have the Charger and the other day the son sent me a video of the 3.5l HO making some noise. There's a tappet sound early on, but then all he'll breaks loose. Am I hearing a fan rubbing, or is there something a whole lot worse?
tia
https://youtu.be/2T_VYHKBwTU

Kern Dog

Classic Chargers never came with engines like that.  :rofl:
You DO know that this is a forum for the old cars, right?

GMP440

Sounds like one of the accessories are making noise.  Could be a bad bearing in either the water pump, power steering pump, air pump, idler pulley, a/c compressor, etc.
  I would take off all the belts and see if the noise is still there.  If no noise, then it's one of the accessories.  Also, starter gear could be rubbing against the flywheel. 
  I had that happen many years ago on my 68 Coronet.  Put a new starter on it and started hearing a scraping  noise.  Took the starter off and noticed the bendix gear was shimmed
  too far out. Took it back for another starter, checked the gear on the starter, which this one was shimmed correctly.  Installed it. no more noise.