News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use Body caulk on drip molding?

Started by sixpack_sid, July 15, 2011, 06:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am putting the trim on my 68 Charger and I read somewhere that you put the roof drip rail chrome moulding on from the top and work your way down to the bottom and use a string type body caulk when you are installing it. Does anyone have any experience using caulk on chrome moulding? If so, what brand do I use? Where can I get it? All I found at the auto parts store is a regular type caulk in a caulking tube. I don't know if this is what I should use?
Thanks,
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Cooter

Not saying this is what YOU should use, but I prefer to fill the area with the Fiberglass Resin jelly. Spreads like Filler and once you smooth it with your finger, it looks just like the factory stuff and won't crack after 5 years in the sun like the original stuff did.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

richRTSE

I think he means to hold the trim on, not the sealer in the actual gutter.  :scratchchin: If your trim is the OEM trim, and its in good shape, it should hold itself on. I think the reproduction stuff is thinner than original, and doesn't spring back into shape as well, and may be a little loose after you snap it on. The caulk helps hold it in place. I would think you should be able to find something at the parts store. I've used this 3M stuff before for different things: http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html

Patronus

I've noticed some windshield sealant on the lower corners of 2nd gen rear glass. They dont always lay flat so sometimes working them they stick up off the glass. I dont think you would need any along the drip rail. Personally I like the look of the spot welds up along there, I dug all that old crap outta there...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE