News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6bbl guys...

Started by dstryr, June 08, 2015, 08:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

It appears by the plugs and wideband I'm still off on the jetting so to keep from taking the carbs apart any more times than I have to I wanted to ask if I'm heading in the right direction.

505", 10.2:1,  ported Source heads flowing ~ 285cfm intake, 1.5:1 roller rockers

XS290S cam:
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 252
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 260
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 252 int./260 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 290
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 298
Advertised Duration: 290 int./298 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.540 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.558 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.540 int./0.558 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Here are my notes from May 31:

Idle 875 rpm                   13.0 a/f
cruise, approx 3200rpm    11.2
WOT                             12.5

Jetting L/R
Front          83/83
Ctr             64/64
Rear           83/83

I think I want to be somewhere around these numbers:

Idle               14-15:1
Cruise            14-15:1
moderate load 13-14:1
WOT             Low 12-Low13:1

Cruise is way rich so I'm thinking drop 2 jets sizes in the center and to stay in the 12.5 range at WOT add one jet size to the outboards.  After my last tear down I finally got the outboard idle screws loose and can adjust them, and all 6 idle screws do affect the idle characteristics.

Make sense?

Thanks!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

firefighter3931

I think you're on the right track Frank   :yesnod:

Mine is at :

14 idle
13.5 cruise
12.8-13 WOT

Plugs stay clean and it idles nice at 1100 rpm  :icon_smile_big:

Less jet on the center carb and a bit more on the outboards will get r done  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Hey great post :2thumbs: please keep us updated, I have  similar results with my 6Pak setup too and I'm interested in your next numbers (saves me from tearing my carbs apart over and over :D)

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

dstryr

Okay, went to 63's in the center and 84s out and the plugs are white.  The wideband is telling me 14:1 at idle, 12.2 at cruise and 13ish under moderate load and WOT, and I'm getting some misfiring at lower, 3000 or so, RPMs when I drop the hammer.  Lean miss?  

And, plugs are white so now thinking the wideband isn't dead on but at least the plugs are no longer black.

I recommend using the 1/32" paper gaskets under the carbs.  The 1/16" composites often allow the base to twist and bind the throttle shafts.  I haven't found the paper gaskets on-line so next round will buy some felpro or similar paper to cut my own.  
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Troy

This will be helpful. I have a wideband (not hooked up yet) and my car has been running like garbage. Rich all the time it seems. I also have those special screws/driver to adjust the idle without pulling the carbs.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dstryr

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

firefighter3931

Jetting doesn't look too bad based on the porcelin and bottom threads on the plug.  ;)

The heat range is definately off.....you need a colder plug. I would go one heat range colder.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs