News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb, intake manifold and headers

Started by Dino, October 09, 2011, 08:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

As I do have some minor hot start issues I got the felpro 1215 valley pan with crossover block kit which I will be installing soon.  Currently I am running an Edelbrock 1407 750 cfm with electric choke kit on an Eddy performer intake (non rpm).  Chryco and Firefighter were kind enough to let me know that the stock '71 intake I have is a better option so I will replace it but have a few questions.

We all have different goals for our cars so a bit of background on mine:  '71 cop car 440 with six pack rods, trw forged pistons, 10.4:1 compression, purple cam and cheap headers. ( at least I think they're cheap, they don't have any coating and one of them leaks!)

Just changed the gears to 2.94 as I want to cruise more than anything else, the car will never race.  Tires are 215 R70 14 and will eventually be replaced with 275 R60 15 (or 295) in the rear, not sure what to stick up front yet.

I am dreaming of an overdrive trans or better yet a manual so I can replace the rear end gears with 3.55 or 3.91 and have power off the line and good cruising abilities but for now it's just the 727.

The 3.55 I just took out really made the car quick off the line, but cruising was horrible so it' a trade of and I made the right choice for my application.

I think that if I replace the current performer intake with the stock intake and (if space permits) add a 1/2" phenolic spacer I should be good to go.  If I do end up with bigger tires and a different trans then maybe I should get a better carb and manifold?
My priorities are cruising and having the engine work at its most efficient, if I can make it run more economical then I'm all for it.  On occasion I do like to put my foot down and make it roar so torque is more important than top end any day for me. (yes I know the fuel mileage goes out the window when I floor it but it's just too much fun and I don't do it that often.)

I really don't have any complaints on the current setup as it's a really smooth ride whcih I feel is very reliable, I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car anywhere.  If I can make it slightly better with the stock intake manifold then great!  For what I'm using it, should I bother with a different carb?  I still have the original thermoquad but I hear they are finicky, reliability ranks high in my book and the less I have to fiddle with a carb the better.  If I could spare $3K I'd get the efi kit in a heartbeat.  After a drive when I stop and shut off the engine the smell of gas is pretty bad and can set off my wife's asthma so if there's something out there to fix that I'll do it!

Lastly, is it worth keeping the headers for street driving or install some hp manifolds?  If so, what should I expect to pay for a used set?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chryco Psycho

for what you are doing the intake is fine , you make huge gain on the carb though , 40 year old technology in the Eddy carbs are not the hot ticket I would use a Proform carb , leave the headers for now

Dino

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 09, 2011, 11:12:12 PM
for what you are doing the intake is fine , you make huge gain on the carb though , 40 year old technology in the Eddy carbs are not the hot ticket I would use a Proform carb , leave the headers for now

Yeah I recall you saying the carb is not the best out there.  I will change it out but likely not soon.  It's not like I have to tear down half the engine to swap a carb.

I will install the cast iron '71 intake though.  If it's really that much better than the performer, and I believe your word for it, why was the performer ever released?  Just becuase it's aluminum?  I'm all for weight reduction but how much is this really going to do?  It's not like the stock intake is that incredibly heavy.

Oh I forgot to mention, the cast iron intake is looking pretty rough, some rust on the outside which doesn't bother me much but I see plenty rust on the inside.  What's the best way to clean this up, have it dipped?

Challenger340

"Dipped", usually refers to a Caustic wash or Hot Tank.

"Caustic", does NOT touch rust whatsoever.

You need to glass bead, sandblast, or wire wheel to remove rust.

Too bad the resources and tech just isn't out there anymore to use the original Thermoquad Carbs. They were the SHIT if a Guy knew how to work on them !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Dino

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 10, 2011, 09:28:52 AM
"Dipped", usually refers to a Caustic wash or Hot Tank.

"Caustic", does NOT touch rust whatsoever.

You need to glass bead, sandblast, or wire wheel to remove rust.

Too bad the resources and tech just isn't out there anymore to use the original Thermoquad Carbs. They were the SHIT if a Guy knew how to work on them !

Looks like I will need some elbow grease then!  The outside will be easy enough to lean up but I don't know if I can get the inside smooth.

Honestly I'm not sure what shape the thermoquad is in and I've never rebuilt a carb before.  I could always give it a shot I suppose.