News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

deck lid length on daytona clone

Started by goosesgarage, October 06, 2011, 12:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosesgarage

What is the length of thew deck lid on a daytona? I have searched but havent found a measurment. Is it cut off square or does it have a slight curve to it? I have a vega hatch but havent welded it in yet because i want to do the deck lid first. thanks in advance

RTDaddy

Hooking a tapeline onto the back edge and pulling to the front corner of the decklid under the window, keping the tapeline straight, (not dipping to the "kick up" at the back, and along the edge, I get 21 3/4".  The decklid does have a radius, it is not a straight line below the rear window.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROl, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bajaherbie

i'm new to chargers and this forum but i think it is wild that a vega hatch glass can be used  to make the fastback...... :2thumbs:

my best friends first car was a 75 vega, we flat wore that car out in less than two years. one time he spun out on a loose gravel road and we got four flats and two bent rims!

hotrod98

Quote from: goosesgarage on October 06, 2011, 12:52:24 PM
What is the length of thew deck lid on a daytona? I have searched but havent found a measurment. Is it cut off square or does it have a slight curve to it? I have a vega hatch but havent welded it in yet because i want to do the deck lid first. thanks in advance

If you use the 3rd gen dutchman for your front drip trough, you will need to make the front lip wider from the closeout to the lip edge to account for the extra width of the steps. And the radius will need to match that dutchman as well. I've seen guys make their own front trough and then make the front edge of the deck lid straight. It all depends on what you're using. I assume that you already have the closeout panel for your deck lid.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

goosesgarage

thanks for the measurement RTDaddy

hotrod98 I have a 3rd gen trough but don't like the way it fits so I'm thinking of making my own. I am going to make a steel close out panel don't really want to use a fiberglass one. 

Been trying to get some hinges built and just about have them figured out. I will try and get some pics when i get them done. After I get the deck lid mounted i will start cutting everything down and welding the plug in.

DAY CLONA

The length of the decklid measured from the side is generally 21 1/2", but because they were hand converted they vary somewhat, the middle deminsion IIRC is 22 3/4", the front edge that was trimmed off is only dollied over 90 degrees, they never folded it over like a factory seam, the 90 degree edge is generally 3/8 wide, but they vary as well, when you do your conversion regardless of the front radius/curve you fabricate on the lid, it's best to install/fit the trunk lid to the car first, then install and slide the plug down to create the trunk gap you desire, it's much easier this way,...if you look at original Charger 500's they probally made the same mistake of fitting the plug first, then when the lids to added, they were either too short, or too long, resulting in declids hanging beyond the rear, or tight dutchman gaps, or a good fit at the rear, but with a mile wide gap at the trunk's front....so fit the trunk first, you don't need the plug in place, I've done all my conversions this way

goosesgarage

trunk hinge test fit pics I got the trunk hinges built and they seem to work well. Just need to mout the hinges in with the springs so i can final mount the deck lid and then get to cutting.

RTDaddy

Goose,
I would suggest that you get a set of the Daytona tail stripes which will give you a template for the radius the decklid has at the front edge.  Then make a hardwood or metal template that you can clamp to the decklid to bend the front lip down.  Dayclona is right in that the metal is not "folded over."  When you get ready to fold the front down, leave it about 2" - 3" longer than you need, dolly it over, then trim it off.  This makes for a better looking bend.  Generally when you try to dolly over a 1/4 or 3/8 lip, you will get highs and lows in the bend.  Good luck.