News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C question

Started by 71mopar383, February 24, 2006, 10:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71mopar383

I was thinking of adding a sanden a/c unit to my car but how much cam can I have to run a/c and still idel ok Im running a VooDoo 268 its 226/234 @50 .494/.513 on a 110 cl.  Its a 9.6:1 motor w/a perf RPM and 780vac sec. 

471_Magnum

I run A/C with more cam than that. I ran a RV2 for quite a while before installing a Sanden.

You probably will want to add a fast idle solenoid to open the throttle a little bit at idle or you'll be stalling in traffic.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

is_it_EVER_done?

The Sanden will not present a problem with a choppy cam at idle (any compressor is designed to withstand being turned on or off at several thousand RPM's, which is far more extreme than any thing idle quality can throw at it). The only question is if your intended engine RPM will exceed the capability of the compressor? Any current compressor can withstand transient RPM's to about 7,000 RPM's for a few seconds (some higher), but if that is your concern, you may want to consider an ignition module that has a programable cut out RPM.

I use a Mallory digital/programmable module (MSD and others have similar units), and use one of the programable cutouts to shut off (through a couple of relays), the A/C compressor, cooling fans, alternator field, and my (high powered) radio/Amp circuts at 5,000 RPM. (safe, without effecting my Hedonistic requirement for climatic/environmental control). :devil:

Way off your question though is why did you chose the Sanden, and which model? Sanden makes an excellent compressor, but a Seltec or Unicla is a better performance unit, is identical dimensionally, and are generally cheaper.

All that aside, your selection of condensers will effect your A/C's performance much more than any other factor (assuming you are planning on using R-134 instead of R-12). The stock condenser is unacceptable in extreme environments, and needs to be changed to a parallel flow unit if max performance is desired. If you live in a milder climate, changing won't be necessary. I apologize for getting off topic.