News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weld through primer

Started by 66FBCharger, December 12, 2011, 12:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

When welding panels or patches into your car, do you use weld through primer? What are the pros and the cons of using it? Does it affect how easy or difficult it is to start a bead?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Domino

I used it a lot on my '70.  Several brands from $18 SEM to $4 a can.
For me they all caused splatter and poor flow.  It also gives off gas as it burns and caused molten plug welds to blow out just as they were filled up with weld pool, burning me pretty good on countless occasions.

For plug welds, I started running the tip of a file in the drilled hole to scrape the primer off the backing metal before welding.  That helped the flow and splatter, and still gave me the corrosion protection between layers.  

Although, in retrospect I'm not sure the primer is worth the aggravation for a garage kept car.

NHCharger

I agree with Domino. I use the SEM weld through primer, same issues as he describes. I initially tried to turn up the heat but that caused me to burn through the metal.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Domino

Quote from: NHCharger on December 14, 2011, 12:08:00 PM
I agree with Domino. I use the SEM weld through primer, same issues as he describes. I initially tried to turn up the heat but that caused me to burn through the metal.
I played with the wire size (and heat) too... 0.030" vs 0.023"  no quick fix there either
even tried copper and zinc primers

66FBCharger

So I guess weld through primer is not worth using.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Troy

I used the Copper type (Eastwood brand I believe) and it seemed to work well compared to other areas that I had welded. Welder seemed happier at least.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Domino

Quote from: 66FBCharger on December 14, 2011, 12:17:46 PM
So I guess weld through primer is not worth using.

Really should wear a respirator burning that stuff off, guess that's another consideration.

elitecustombody

I've tried many ,SEM copper seems to work much better than others

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

richRTSE

I tried the copper primer from UPOL when doing my floor pans and I was pretty happy with it...I'd use it again.
:Twocents:

Silver R/T

Quote from: elitecustombody on December 20, 2011, 11:16:05 AM
Personally I like all SEM products, haven't had problems with any of them so far
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

elitecustombody

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 22, 2011, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: elitecustombody on December 20, 2011, 11:16:05 AM
Personally I like all SEM products, haven't had problems with any of them so far

I can't argue with you there. SEM has great products.I use their stuff all the time

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan