News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bumper bracket bolts won't come out

Started by Inspector71, January 09, 2012, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector71

Yeah, I know, my third post. but I'm finally into this project and I'm on my own. I am in the process of removing the bumper brackets. The problem is, the nuts are so tight or corroded, the entire bolt turns. I realize the bumpers have squared holes and that is supposed to hold the square head of the bolt but its not working. With some I used a grinder to cut off but I may not be able to get to the ones in the corners. Does anyone have a solution to holding these guys straight so I can turn the nut on the bolt? Thanks and you all should be writing your own how to book. I have learned more on this forum today than reading a lot of my restoration books...where everything goes according to plan, by the numbers, like clock work...

Domino

You're talking the carriage bolts I assume. You'll probably need new ones... so just center punch and drill the head from the outside.  Like removing a really big rivit.

Inspector71

Domino, Thanks, I never would have thought of that.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Domino on January 09, 2012, 02:34:19 PM
You're talking the carriage bolts I assume. You'll probably need new ones... so just center punch and drill the head from the outside.  Like removing a really big rivit.

I've had better luck grinding the nut off from the backside as the carriage bolt usually tends to start spinning on you as the drill bit bites into it when you get close to the breakthrough point where it meets the bumper, or if you've already loosened it some and can't get it fully retightened If possible you can cut the sides of the nut off  with a cutoff wheel on opposite sides and usually knock off the remaining pieces with a hammer and a chisel.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.