News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Herb's interior paint?

Started by buckeyecharger, August 13, 2013, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckeyecharger

I have been reading a lot about interior paints/dyes. I see that SEM appears to be the best on the market. But i want to know what you guys think of Herb's interior paint. Is it good stuff, do you recommend it, durable, etc.??? I  have a can of it already but after reading how good SEM is, i am hesitating on using the can of herb's.  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Thanks!

Mfr426

It's funny you would post this. I have not posted on this forum in a year or more but wanted to comment on this topic since the timing was perfect.

I purchased a can of this from Herbs about two weeks ago to paint some seat belt plastic parts for my 69. This was not the webbing just the covers that were black and I wanted to make them green. My color is the dark green for 69. I prepped the parts with Dupont's plastic prep thinking that was the best stuff available for plastic prep and shot them. The paint went on well and looked fairly good for a spray can. I then let it sit overnight and took a closer look the next day. I wanted to see how durable it was going to be. Sadly a light scuff took the paint right off the part.

So, I called Herb's the next day and talked to "Bob". He said that I should NOT have used the Dupont plastic prep and that it was the reason it didn't stick. I found that hard to believe but bought it at the time. He said that I should just use dish soap and no other prep. So, I scrapped off all the paint and did a thorough job of washing the parts in a clean sink with dish soap. I let them dry and then painted them once again. Sure enough the same thing happened. The paint didn't stick well and I could remove it with just a nail.

I called "Bob" again just after lunch today. He told me "the Dupont plastic prep left some residue on the parts and that I would likely not be able to use Herb's paints on the parts now". He also said that eveyone on Moparts was raving about how good this stuff was. I have not seen those posts but would welcome and leads on that. He said he was going to "talk to Herb about trying to get me some kind of refund".

I find the Dupont prep response suspect and want a refund. Granted it was only $17 for a can but I honestly don't think it does the job. Another rub was the $12.+ shipping to go from Delaware to PA.

I've used Dupont vinyl paint in the past and although it's expensive it does a much better job of sticking to the part then what I've witnessed with Herb's paint. 

DC_1

I have painted several seats from tan to black and also green to white pearl. I used SEM Colour Coat and prepped with their Vinyl Prep cleaner. Never had an adhesion problem and the colour is still sticking with over 3 years of use on the seats.

I wouldn't use anything else.

With the 68 Charger having White Pearl interior they didn't have anything off the shelf. I called their tech support and they asked me to send in a sample. I sent in a piece of material and they generated a colour formula and emailed it to me. I took that to the local autobody supply company that can mix SEM and they custom made a quart for me. Colour match was excellent.

buckeyecharger

Mfr426

And BTW, nice car. Looks very similar to mine.

buckeyecharger

Similar, but not a 10th as nice...maybe some day  ;)

Mike DC

:Twocents:

It's debatable what is the best for hard plastic & metal stuff.  Maybe an enamel-based vinyl paint like DuPont would be better there. 

But for flexible vinyl stuff I have yet to use anything that beats SEM, which I think is lacquer-based. 

Mfr426

Mfr426

Sorry to continue to hijack this thread. Here is an update on Herb's interior paint. I protested the charge for this "paint" with my CC company after going round and round with Herb's representative. In the end I lost and the charge sticks. I'm glad it was only $30. Looking back I always thought that this company seemed to be an odd duck in the resto business even before I ever bought anything from them. Now I know that my impression was correct. What a shame. I'll be certain to go out of my way to tell my car buddies that they don't stand behind their products.

PlainfieldCharger

I used the SEM lacquer based for the flexible vinyl. It worked and matched really well.