News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Nose Cone --- Plastic???

Started by garyd2831, September 21, 2012, 04:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyd2831

I was just thinking about the Daytona nose cone situation surrounding us clone builders and an idea crossed my mind while standing in my friends body shop the other day.  Seeing how steel noses are a little on the expensive side and time consuming to make and fiberglass is heavy, cracks over time, has anyone thought about making a plastic nose much like modern car bumper covers.

Positive points to a plastic bumper cover are: 1) same original look. 2) can be modified to have no rubber seal like original noses. 3) less weight (by a lot) 4) flexible to work with. 5) can be molded to accept original equipment.

Of course the initial expense comes from making a mold, but to mass produce would be a lot cheaper if people were interested.

What does the crowd think? I like the idea of having the classic car look, without the weight and to be reliable like modern vehicles.

Brutalowner

69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

JB400

Nice thought, but I don't think it would work to well.  Plastic warps over time, becomes brittle and cracks or breaks all to pieces, and reinforcements would have to be made to reinforce it to maintain its shape that would override any initial weight benefits.   It's possible and it's not that bad of an idea, but I'd stick with steel or fiberglass.  On the other hand, carbon fiber maybe?  $$$$$

Aero426

Tooling costs would be very expensive.     The nose is such a large and complex piece.     If if you could overcome the manufacturing and quality control issues,  there simply aren't enough buyers to support mass production of noses. 

A383Wing

I got a 'glass one on mine....been there since late 90's....no issues with it so far, except for the initial fitting of it to the car and all the parts. Nothing lined up very well

Bryan

moparstuart

you also have to remember that rubber / urethane style bumper covers are flimsy so you have to have a steel bar behind them and also egg crate style plastic or foam to keep it filled out . Those molds also cost money to produce .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DonC1

Interesting idea....
however I can build daytona nose cones in steel for not much more than a 'glass nose cost...plastic just seems ' fake' ...just my 2 cents. ;)