News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting ready for winter storage in the rust belt!

Started by 7chargers, October 20, 2012, 09:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7chargers

So as I ponder how to pre-pare my charger for a 4-5 month hibernation here in WI, I ask myself and you what if any would be a good way to not allow extra moisture to be exposed to my undercariage? I have a concrete floor in my garage like most. Has anyone thought about parking your car for storage on a heavy sheet of plastic to create a barrier between the concrete and the car? Or is this just not somthing to worry about. The garage is insulated but no heat source. Thoughts or ideas on what others do. With any hope maybe a week or two left of cruising but the storage time is quickly approaching!

1970Moparmann

A few good options for you-

-http://www.discountramps.com/car-pocket.htm

http://www.carcapsule.com/

I just picked up a 79 Chrysler 300 with 30k original miles.  Car is in excellent condition from the rockers up.  This car sat on a cement slab, but there was a lot of moisture.   Why I said this is depending on the condition of your car, do something.  I have a car pocket that I bought years ago for a car I was going to store in a storage facility.  I'm in Northern IL and can meet you if interested.  I would sell for $100 to get rid of it. Still in the box.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

areibel

Years ago there used to be an old looney Mopar guy that stored most of his (rough) collection outside, but he had a two car garage he kept a couple of the nicer ones in.  He said it didn't matter if it was heated, since he always had a small fan mounted up in the peak of the gable end and ran it almost constantly.  He said the worst thing was to close them up in a building and let the moisture accumulate underneath them (his was concrete slab in bad shape).  He'd either have them up on jack stands or even 2x10 planks stacked three high to add clearance, and the fan ran all the time.  I've noticed in my pole barn that the middle of winter isn't bad, but late fall and early spring everything will be wet from the change of temperatures between day and night, I'm thinking about cutting a hole for a fan myself!
This guy had probably a half dozen cars stored outside in the woods too, but he always had them 3 feet off the ground!  If he had a shell or parts car to hang onto he'd put it on four 55 gallon drums for the same reason, to allow air movememt around them.  I watched one of his cars closely (a 70 Plymouth B body vert), and it sat ther for probably 15 years with no real rot starting.  Just wish I'd been  rich enough to buy one when they sold them off!

ACUDANUT

I put plywood under my cars, it help with the moisture.

charger490

i put plastic down than i look for some old rugs that people throw out and put them on the plastic.i also use bounce fabric sheets inside the cars to keep the mice out.i take the batties out and store them on a shelf in the basement

Daytona R/T SE

Low temp dehumidifier.

Run it year round.

Been doing it for close to 20 years...

Aero426

Plywood under the car, and a sheet of plastic under that will be just fine. 

odcics2

For the future, if anyone is building a garage or pole barn, put the plastic down and pour the cement over it. (like what I have)

I agree with the car off the floor too.  NEVER open the doors on a one of the first warm spring days. You'll let all the humid air in and it'll condense all over anything cold, like your car!  (for folks w/o  heated storage.)   The fan in the attic is a good idea...   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

I use cardboard with plastic over it (backwards from most) and then try to keep it at least partially heated out there.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 20, 2012, 08:48:45 PM
Low temp dehumidifier.

Run it year round.

You must have a heated garage to run one all year round

Dino

Coat the car in vaseline.  Cleanup might be a little messy though.

I'm storing mine starting December and I probably will get it back in April.  I plan on starting it up from time to time, and if weather permits, take it for a spin.  Michigan can get damn humid, but not in winter.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

71green go

In a damp area I always run a box fan on med to low speed....this little bit of air movement keeps everything nice and dry.......

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 24, 2012, 04:58:26 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 20, 2012, 08:48:45 PM
Low temp dehumidifier.

Run it year round.

You must have a heated garage to run one all year round

Yes.  I keep the thermostat at about 55 when I'm not out there. It's well insulated so the heat doesn't run very often to maintain that temperature. Dehumidifier keeps the humidity out of the air and off the cars and tools.

No plastic sheets...

No wet cardboard...

No wet plywood...

7chargers

I like the idea of the fan running to keep the air circulated, however somthing electrical running while not in the garage makes me a tad nervous. I suppose no diffrent than a furnace running. These are all great ideas. Does everyone cover them with a decent car cover or just leave it un covered and not worry about the dust so the air circulates around it?

Dino

Quote from: 7chargers on October 25, 2012, 01:49:12 PM
I like the idea of the fan running to keep the air circulated, however somthing electrical running while not in the garage makes me a tad nervous. I suppose no diffrent than a furnace running. These are all great ideas. Does everyone cover them with a decent car cover or just leave it un covered and not worry about the dust so the air circulates around it?

No cover!  You'll trap the moisture.  When you get it out of storage just use a California duster or do as I do, drive really fast until it's all gone!

There's always battery operated fans but that's gonna cost you a fortune in batteries.  I wouldn't be too worried about running a small fan without supervision though, if there's a spike, and that's a big if, the breaker will catch it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

I have a friend who tried the car bag and said all it did was hold IN the moisture.  The car was a mess in the spring.   :eek2:

derailed

Ive never put anything down under the car in the garage and havent seen any adverse affects in the last 20 years but thats me. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to put a tarp or maybe plywood down if you live in a damp area. I wouldnt use cardboard as it does hold moisture and produces that musty smell after awhile.