News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM Aero Coupes from the mid 80's

Started by Ghoste, November 16, 2012, 06:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

With NASCAR as big as it is today and GM as popular as it is, why has the collector market never really taken to these?  With limited numbers and being 25 years old now you would think they would at least be bringing what they sold for new, the average seems to be about 2/3 of original MSRP?

myaerocars

One day soon they will come into their own and will start bring at least MSRP.  When compared to the "performance" cars from the original areo cars , they fall short ( only in a straight line). Too bad they did not get any of the fuel injection motors from the Vette. That would have changed things I believe.  :Twocents:

These cars would be excellent daily  drivers and of course some of them were.  Seems for many years down here in Georgia you saw a lot of the '87 model  Aerocoupes zipping around town daily. My personal favorite is the 1986 Pontiac 2+2 model.  Almost bought one several times but it just never happened.  I'd love an Aerocoupe for sure.  As a matter of fact, I will just get both!  :2thumbs:
Godspeed,
JON

Mytur Binsdirti

The limited production aero cars from Mopar & Ford were outlawed/ handicapped after 1 season but the later limited production areo cars from GM were legal. Funny how things like that work.   ::)

charger_fan_4ever

Speaking of the aero coupes. Look what the local dealer rolled in last week. 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe 1 owner all original 28,000km $8,900

http://www.thibaultchevrolet.ca/en/used/1987-chevrolet-monte-carlo-aerocoupe-tous-orriginal/4819916/

Too bad they never came with a healthy engine. Those tuned port injectect 305/350's were dogs. HAd a GTA back in the day with a 350 auto.

Later had a 5L gt mustang 5 speed with headers/exhaust and gears felt like a race car compared to the larger 350 lol

On another note other than the GNX what would be the last american "muscle car" that brings more $$ used than it did new ? Was there anything between say the 74 cuda/RR till ?

moparstuart

wayne used to have the pontiac
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 16, 2012, 08:22:56 AM
The limited production aero cars from Mopar & Ford were outlawed/ handicapped after 1 season but the later limited production areo cars from GM were legal. Funny how things like that work.   ::)

Not to  mention how much fewer they needed to build for homologation.

nascarxx29

The Pontiac 2+2 Aero coupes should be collectible :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

65post

I would trade my 65 coronet for a 2+2........
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

TruckDriver

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 16, 2012, 12:32:52 PM
The Pontiac 2+2 Aero coupes should be collectible :Twocents:

I agree. And I know of a '87 Aero Coupe Monte Carlo sitting with a 2 + 2 sitting outside unprotected next to a house on gravel since at least 1999. Complete cars too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

Mike DC

The aero special versions of any car probably aren't gonna be very collectible unless the non-aero versions already have a big following.  An aero special is typically an uglier version of the mass produced model. 

JB400

That does work both ways.  Sometimes the aero cars bring more attention

Ghoste

An interesting point.  The Monte Carlo and Grand Prix were hugely popular for GM at the time and there is the beginning of a collector following for them but I guess I wouldn't go as far as calling it huge.

odcics2

The Laguna S-3 was very good at the tracks, Cale winning championships in them.
A local old guy guy drives his all year!

Maybe its the converters on them that turn collectors off??  :shruggy:

How collectable are any other 1975 mid size cars???   Who here owns a 75 Charger???     :eek2:        
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69charger2002

The aerocoupes will take a while to ever appreciate much, if they do at all. I just sold mine, and gave it away for $5500. It was a nice car i had about $8500 into it.. I probably didn't put 100 miles on it the whole time i owned it. It was a very cool car, but NOTHING compared to an old mopar, so when i went out to my shop to drive one, it never got picked..

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 16, 2012, 08:22:56 AM

If I remember correctly, GM and NASCAR needed something to keep it from being the Bill Elliot show every sunday. As for Mopar, no one was going to run an "areo" 400, even if they did turbo charge it. :icon_smile_big: 

Ghoste

Hasn't NASCAR always tried t make it favorable for GM because thats what most of the fans drove, at least up until Toyota? (and the more recent push to becomethe new IROC?)

myaerocars

+ 1 to what Ghoste said about NASCAR making it more favorable for GM>
When GM wanted back into NASCAR racing in 1971 they had no aero program  .....only the Monte Carlo ; It would have taken them too long to develope anything against the areo package cars from Ford ,  Mercury and Chrysler.  SO it was in GMs interest to get NASCAR to limit the aero cars with 305 cubes if aero packages were used.  :Twocents:

Godspeed,
JON 

Ghoste

Is there not also a quote somewhere from Bill France indicating his opinion that the fans want to see the car they drive win and since most of the fans drove Chevy's, the other brands needed to be handicapped?

Aero426

GM as a corporate entity specifically did not want back into GN racing in 1971.   It was Charlotte Motor Speedway promoter Richard Howard who bankrolled the Chevy effort with Junior Johnson.    He knew that having Chevys in the field was good for business.    It was his own deal.   

Ghoste, I agree with the first part about France saying that he wanted to see more standard cars like fans drove.   

Ghoste

But were his thoughts brand specific?  Because thats what I thought I remembered was something about wanting to see Chevy's in the winner circle because most of the fans drove that.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on November 20, 2012, 10:35:53 AM
But were his thoughts brand specific?  Because thats what I thought I remembered was something about wanting to see Chevy's in the winner circle because most of the fans drove that.

Could be.  I just don't recall the exact wording.  For sure, I think he was pleased to see Chevrolets competing competitively, esp with the total loss of Ford and Chrysler cutting way back.   Again, it would be good for business.  

Ghoste

Which ultimately is all it really is.  As fans its easy to forget the sanctioning body needs to make a buck.