News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ballparking it on front end alignment

Started by hemi68charger, February 18, 2013, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey Gang,
I'm going to finish up my front suspension rebuild on the Daytona. I'll obviously need to get the front end aligned, but need to drive it to the shop first. With the car on stands, what is the procedure on getting the front wheels in a good-enough state to drive it straight to the local shop to get her aligned properly? Again, this is a '69 Charger... I have a service manual, but think it'll be way too complicated to follow that thing word for word..... I will have the jack stands under the lower control arms to simulate a load and the torsion bar adjusters will be positioned relatively where I had them before, the head of the adjusters flush to the bottom of the control arm halves..

Thanks..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Brutalowner

Wheels off, put an anglefinder on the wheel mounting surface (vertically), turn the UCA cam bolts until the anglefinder points to zero or 90*. Put the tires on, seatbelt the steering wheel srtaight up, then use a tape measure to set the toe. Usually 1/8" in, on the front side. Should be close enough to make it to the shop. :Twocents:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

C928BRAN

i put all of the wheels and tires on, put car on good level floor, rolled it forward about 15 feet. then a took a framing square, and put it on the floor and put it in the center of the tire, and adjusted the lean of the wheel till the square touched the bottom of the sidewall, and about an 1/8th of an inch off of the top, allowing for the slight difference, of the bulge on the bottom of the tire. once i had that done i took a string, and ran it from the rear tires to the front, in the center of the tire, and adjusted the toe, untill, all 4 high points on the tires,( front and rear ), were touching the string, at the same time. been running the tires for almost a year, and wearing great.