News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pretty stock 440,what cam would you use?

Started by andy74, August 06, 2005, 02:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

with 9.3 to 1 flat tops,a factory cast (68)4 bbl intake,edelbrock 750 carb,hooker 1 7/8 headers,ported 906 heads.i run a 727 auto with 1800 stall,and 3.55s with 27 inch tall tires.i want a more aggresive cam then what i have now,just nothing i need to change a lot of other shit for!this engine only has about 6000 miles so its in great condition,just need a little more guts for the street.i am planning on building a completely different engine for it,but probably wont be for another year or so,so give me your input guys?no strip trips planned,just strong street motor(for now?)

firefighter3931

Hi Andy, the Crower hdp271 would be a nice upgrade from a stock type cam with your current setup. This is a split pattern grind that works well with stock heads/intake and either manifolds or headers. I ran the next bigger grind in my old 440 and liked it a lot, but i had a 2500 stall. The 271 with shorter duration would be a better choice with a milder (1800) converter, inmo. This cam will have excellent street manners and make plenty of vacuum to run power brakes....if that is of any concern. It will also have a slight lope to it but nothing too radical.

PN: 32242
Grind: hdp271
Duration: 271/284
Duration@.050: 222/234
Valve lift: .486/.496
Lobe Seperation: 112

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

hey ron,i figured either you or chryco would be bale to give me good advice.with the cam you recomend,will i need different valve springs or any other mods?the ones in the engine now were replaced when i had the heads done,a year and a half  ago-should be fine i think.can i get that cam from summit or paw?thanks again my friend!

firefighter3931

Hi Andy, on the springs it depends on what's in the motor now. That Crower cam isn't too big or agressive so as long as the springs don't coilbind you should be good to go. Do you have a part # or any specs on the current springs ? You won't have any retainer to guide clearance issues with this cam either, so no head mods needed.   ;)

Check with summit racing or paw for pricing....i'm pretty sure either will be able to order that cam in for you.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I would look at the Engle K56 grind
with the ported head you can use the extra lift , coullld look at the K 58 also
both make great power & idle well

694spdRT

I have a split grind Engle K56/K58 in my 9.5 to 1 440 and love it. I do have a 4 speed though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 07, 2005, 02:56:55 AM
I would look at the Engle K56 grind
with the ported head you can use the extra lift , coullld look at the K 58 also
both make great power & idle well

:iagree: The k56 is another good candidate for this engine. It specs out pretty close to the Crower Grind, but has slightly more lift....seat timing and duration #'s at .050 lift are almost identical. It should still fit with stock retainers/guides. The springs might need to be swapped out for it though....then again, depending on what's in there now, the springs might need to be swapped out for the Crower cam. I'm assuming Andy is looking for a straight cam swap with the least amount of hassle.

Ron

andy74

ron hit the nail on the head-with this engine i just want a stright forward cam swap,nothing that will envolve a lot of changes,as i am planning a another engine build for a latter date.with the new baby and the kids school stuff,wife not working etc,i cant jump in with both feet and a handful of cash like i used too! i know we have all been in the same type of situation,so im not crying the blues,just trying to get a little more hustle for the least cash spent-andy

gsmopar

I'll probably get flammed for this, but I loved the .509 Purple Shaft.  It's cheap, sounds and runs good, and perfectable streetable.

firefighter3931

Quote from: gsmopar on August 10, 2005, 05:49:39 PM
I'll probably get flammed for this, but I loved the .509 Purple Shaft.   It's cheap, sounds and runs good, and perfectable streetable.

:mad: :smash:   :stirthepot: Sure it is...with a 3500 stall and 4.10's. The 509 is 30* bigger at .050 than the Crower grind i recommended for Andy earlier in this thread. The difference between a 220* and 250* cam is huge. Having run that cam myself in the past i can say that i'm not a fan of it unless deep gears and a loose converter are being used. With 1800 stall and 3.55 gears that would be the worst choice he could make, inmo. Sorry GS Mopar....that's how i see it. The flaming is all in good fun.... :lol:

Ron

andy74

i did consider the mp purple shaft cam,i work for a dodge dealer so i can get a discount on mopar performance stuff,i know that a 509 will be to much but have thought about the smaller grinds,the one in my car now is pretty close to the factory six pack type,i was leaning towards the .474/474,280/280,pn 4452993?

gsmopar

I ran the .509 purple shaft with a 2.76 rear gear 2200 stall in a bone stock 440 with a torquerII and 780 holley.  The car ran 14.8 at 5500ft in Albuquerque New Mexico.  Just speaking from personal experience.  I had NO complaints about that cam.  I drove the car daily through highschool, college, and part time jobs. 

Later,

Greg