News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Charger - console and/or radio is electroluminescent?

Started by Marquisdupre, April 12, 2013, 12:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquisdupre

I've got a 66 Charger, and I am familiar with the gauges being electroluminescent - but was the original radio (missing from my car) and the console PRND window (not working on my car) both EL lighting? I had seen somewhere talk about the optional clock being EL but was unsure of all the EL in this year of Charger. My intuition says that they used it for all (gauges, console, radio) but wanted to see if someone can tell me.
Thanks!

A383Wing

Yes, on the 66 the clock, radio, and shift plate on the console were all EL lighted.

In 67, the console shift plate and clock got changed to 12v bulb style lighting, dash & AM radio remained EL light

Bryan

Marquisdupre

thanks!

So my 66 console plate is not lighting up. I just had the gauges restored and hoped that there was some connection between the EL pack and wiring and that the console would light up, but it didn't. Loose wire maybe? Was there a second power pack/limiter/thingie for the console? How would I go about troubleshooting why it's not lighting up. The gauges look nice and purdy now that they light up at full strength!

mauve66

look for the white wire inside the console to make sure its connected, could be a bad ground to the plate or a break in the EL coating on the plate itself also.
and the A/C buttons on 66 were EL also................ you got A/C?
who did your gauges??  the gauge doc can fix that also, he's on here sometimes
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Marquisdupre

gauge doc fixed mine. speedo was tripping out big time after gauges were installed after restoration... unhooked cable and am just driving around for a few days before the garage fixes - hoping nothing serious as I paid gauge doctor and garage a small fortune to redo the gauges...

No A/C in my car. No original radio either.
Any guides and instructions on how to take apart the console for me to see what's going on in there if it's just unhooked or not grounded well, or the actual EL that's damaged? Saw someone on here has used modern EL for the console plate, which could be a good option if the original EL is bad.

A383Wing

you have to remove the console arm rest to get the front top plate off.

A service manual would be your best friend here if you are taking this car apart without knowing how to do it. I have service manuals here on CD if interested

Bryan

Marquisdupre

I would totally be interested in a service manual CD - how much?

A383Wing