News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help from an expert on the tach wire routing.

Started by Zeroman, March 24, 2013, 08:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeroman

Many years ago a friend and I installed a manual oil pressure gauge. It's an original tick-toc-tach car so the large hole for the tack wire was already there and so I ran the new oil line through that large hole and rerouted the gray tack wire through the smaller hole to the lower left of the large one (so I thought).
Now, 20 years later I've removed the pressure gauge and am trying to return the tack wire to its original location and that's where my confusion began. I pushed the small grommet back into the car and as you can see it looks so perfect. I don't remember drilling a hole in it, as you see the crimp is perfect (no way I undid the original crimp and re-crimped it). I didn't cut the wire and fish it though the hole and wire nut it anywhere. My question is, is there anyway the wire could have been originally run through the small hole? If not what is that hole for? Does that grommet look original? I've seen that little hole plugged up in other peoples cars.

8WHEELER

Actually the grommet is not correct, and the wire connector had a plastic housing covering the metal connector.

I have not found a good picture yet of a correct unit, Year one might have it on there web site still.

See if this link works, the grommet is much larger than the one in your picture.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23523.0.html

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:
Should be in the larger hole (larger to accommodate plastic connector)

The lower left hole is for the firewall insulation retainer....of which looks like whats on your wire now.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Zeroman

Hello Chris and Dan thank you both for your help.
I ordered a new tach harness from Evens Wiring and it arrived today. I am extremely impressed! I only ordered it for the grommet. My harness was fine minus the grommet but his is so nice with the absolutely perfect grommet I'm just going to change out the whole thing.

One question remains. I now need to refill that small hole with a firewall nail but what piece of insulation is held in by this nail? This is an AC car so the insulation is in three pieces. One to the left of the break pedal, one behind the glove box and the third smashed in behind the heater box but as you can see it ends exactly at the edge of the box. It was very hard to get a good shot up there but you can see what I'm talking about.
Again, thank you!

8WHEELER

Good job, I have never had an AC car ''out of 20 + mopars its hard to believe'' I don't have that hole, so
I am sure Chris could help you with that   :yesnod:  he is an AC expert.

Dan

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 8WHEELER on April 03, 2013, 09:28:03 PM

he is an AC expert.

Dan

Almost choked on that one Dan!   far from an expert believe you me!!  

Looking further & taking pics of my "hole", it looks like that small grommet that you got the wire through back in the day is just that....a rubber grommet to plug some sort of hole for what ever reason.
I cant say if its AC cars only or what...id have to look at non AC cars but if Dan says he never saw that on any of his cars :shruggy:

As you can see in the pics its pretty much the same shape as the one you pictured except it doesnt have a hole in it.....it is rubber as well.

You probably did recrimp the terminal at some point???
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 04, 2013, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on April 03, 2013, 09:28:03 PM

he is an AC expert.

Dan

Almost choked on that one Dan!   far from an expert believe you me!!  

Looking further & taking pics of my "hole", it looks like that small grommet that you got the wire through back in the day is just that....a rubber grommet to plug some sort of hole for what ever reason.
I cant say if its AC cars only or what...id have to look at non AC cars but if Dan says he never saw that on any of his cars :shruggy:

As you can see in the pics its pretty much the same shape as the one you pictured except it doesnt have a hole in it.....it is rubber as well.

You probably did recrimp the terminal at some point???

Did not mean to choke you out    ;D  I folowed your AC installation on your Charger, and I was very impressed with
the quality of the job you did, just say in  :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Zeroman

Wow Chris, you went above and beyond the call of duty. I can't believe you took that picture under the dash but I greatly appreciate that you did. It confirmed that is just a plug, it doesn't hold or support any insulation. Who knows why they drilled the hole in the first place.
I can see from your other picture that the engine bay side of that plug is much larger than mine. Clearly you are correct, I must have drilled that out long ago in order to fish the wire through and thereby destroying the tip of the plug.
I've owned that car since 1987. Back then when the car was worth 25 hundred bucks I didn't care about doing stuff like that. Now, completely different story.  So I guess my last question on this subject will be, know anywhere I can get a new plug. I would imagine this will be very difficult to get.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T