News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Polish info needed:

Started by Captain D, April 18, 2013, 02:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

We've been trying to find a product that works well on coated metals; particularly 1.) a polished intake, 2.) headers.

I've been reading labels on products, such as Mother's and Nevr Dull, and they all tend to have a warning which states that those products shouldn't be used on coated metals (which, is what we have here). With that being said, does anyone know of any new products that 'CAN' be used on coated metals and is available at any parts stores, such as Advance Auto/Auto Zone (if possible)?

I've read that some use a simple car wax, but I would think that something like that would look nice in the short-run but wouldn't last very long at all on high temp surfaces. I've done searches and read a variety of different products, but they all tend to have the same warning. On the topic of headers, I did stumble onto a site on how to cheaply clean up headers if anyone has given this a try:

http://www.slponline.com/header_mntn.asp

And this from a marine boat site (claims that its okay on either coated or non-coated metals - but not painted):

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/liquid-metal-wax/

If there are no products to be used on 'polished' metals, such as for coated/polished intakes and headers then perhaps my only choice may be using, and reapplying often, a standard paste wax. Any experience and/or feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated as we are prepping for the upcoming car shows,  :2thumbs:.

All the best,
Aaron

bill440rt

Aaron,
What is this mysterious "coating" on the intake manifold? Powdercoating? A polished intake with a "coating" shouldn't need polishing, the coating is there to protect the polished finish. You could just use a mild cleaner or detailer to wipe it down. Maybe just a regular automotive paint or chrome type polish?
Metal polishes such as the ones from Mother's, Nevr Dull, and others are designed to polish bare metals such as aluminum.

I bought some of this from Mancini Racing for my ceramic coated polished TTI's:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/cecepo.html

Seems to work very well, removes stains & brightens the coating a bit. No discoloration from heat.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Captain D

Hi Bill,

Here is the intake with the finish that I was describing (non-powder-coated):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-71861/media/images

If I knew best would form of coating this has, it will give me a better idea of what product to use. When I called Summit, they simply recommended Mother's aluminum polish (either the 'Powermetal' liquid or mag paste option) but the back labels warns against coated products so that was why I was questioning them. I did do a little test on an obscure area on the intake, and it didn't look bad but I didn't know if it was the best stuff to use in the long-term.

The polish link that you provided does seem to be interesting and may work pretty good. I'll definitely look into it and if you feel that it would be better on this form of intake finish (rather than the Mother's), I'm certainly interested in any and all feedback/experience, etc.

Thanks!
Aaron

JB400

Have you contacted Edelbrock?  They put the coating on, I'm sure they would have a recommendation on what to use.  Is it the Endurashine coating that is on your intake?

EDIT:
If it is the Endurashine, they recommend just soap and water to clean it, and a coat of regular car wax to bring back the shine. :2thumbs:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/endurashine/intro.shtml

bill440rt

Aaron,
The intake in the link you provided is a bare aluminum, polished intake. Uncoated. The Mother's aluminum polish (or any other aluminum or metal polish) should work fine. Meguiar's makes a good one I've been using on polished billet aluminum wheels, and I'm a big fan of Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Metal Polish as well. Works very well.

I would not use the polish in the link from Mancini Racing on aluminum. It is designed for polished ceramic coatings and may scratch polished aluminum.

If Edelbrock makes this intake with the Enduroshine finish, you might want to look into that as it is less maintenance.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Captain D

hi Stroker400wedge - When I was talking with Summit about the finish, they noted that it wasn't the Endurashine coating - but thank you for the tip/suggestion in trying to help me out,  :2thumbs:.

Bill440 - Thank you for the info regarding this finish and the type of polishes that can be used. One last question, on the topic of headers, would you feel that the link from Mancini Racing would be safe to use on brightening up headres since some tend to have the coating we've been discussing, by chance?

Thank you gents for your time and guidance once more,
Aaron D.

bill440rt

The polish from Mancini is designed for polished ceramic coated parts (very bright finish). It is safe for high-heat applications.
If you plan on using it on anything else I would ask Mancini about it first. I'm not sure what other "coating" you have on your headers.

Captain D

Hi Bill,

The headers that I have are the Hooker headers coated from Jet-Hot (silver finish), so I'll do some research on its exact coating and then go from there on which polish is safe to use. Thank you again for the links/tips/leads,  :cheers:.
High regards,
Aaron

bill440rt

If it's a silver finish than I would not polish it.
Wipe with soap & water only.
That polish is for a POLISHED ceramic coating finish.