News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona Restoration

Started by 69hemidaytona, April 28, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGMAN

69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69hemidaytona

Nope not that big. Only 426 cubic inches. ;)

Charger-Bodie

The last 2 pictures posted are not Hemi. You can tell by a few things , but most obvious to me is the motor mount ears.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on December 09, 2013, 01:04:33 AM
Nope not that big. Only 426 cubic inches. ;)
Must be a wedge, cause the pistons aren't domed.

hemi68charger

OK, thought I was losing it. But there isn't any of the head stud mounting points on the block in the lifter valley. On the Hemi, the 4 inner head fastening locations are ones in which studs are screwed into the head then slid onto the block. Then you attach the nuts to the stud and then tighten with a special crowsfoot. Plus, there aren't any cross-bolt openings. The machine shop has done a switch-aroo on ya..  :scratchchin:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

I'm sure Roger had some pics he sent to Tony mixed up.....it definitely is a Hemi Daytona.....and I have seen the original Hemi engine in person.....or - it is all a big hoax....So sell it to me for 440 money Tony!  :lol:

69hemidaytona

I did it again I guess. Exactly as Jim pointed out, I got the photos mixed up. If I just posted the photos Roger sent me I would be OK but I brought home all of the negatives in my file and uploaded them all. I'm too much of an amatuer to catch the photos of other cars and parts that are mixed in with mine. The lack of domed pistons should have clued me in though. :brickwall:

nascarxx29

You dont see the cross main bolts on the side of the block  :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mytur Binsdirti

No updates for over a month? What's the deal-eo?  :shruggy:

69_500

I know I am digging up threads from the depths but this one just kind of fell off a few years back and left some of us hanging as to how it all ended up. I just spent some time going back over all the pics in this post and I gotta say I notice some things now that I hadn't back then.

Love pics of cars from before restorations.

Mopar John

Danny,
I spoke with the owner about this Daytona just a week or so ago.
It is pretty well done now and recently like me just found another NOS item to make it better.
Maybe Tony will see this and share some info on this very nice OE restoration?
MJ

hemi-hampton

8 Years ago it was ready to paint & assemble, Does Roger take that long to paint & assemble? :scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

No. He's done 4 cars for me over the years.
I think it was a matter of time amassing correct parts.

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 06, 2021, 10:22:12 AM
No. He's done 4 cars for me over the years.
I think it was a matter of time amassing correct parts.

That ain't no lie....... I feel my 500 is going at a nail's pace between working full time and tracking down proper parts......
Troy

hemi-hampton

Amassing correct (mostly NOS) takes Time, That's why one guy spent 10 years amassing NOS parts before he brought his car to Roger. I think everyone should gather all there NOS or good used parts before taking it in for a Resto. :shruggy: :Twocents:

69_500

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 06, 2021, 06:01:55 PM
Amassing correct (mostly NOS) takes Time, That's why one guy spent 10 years amassing NOS parts before he brought his car to Roger. I think everyone should gather all there NOS or good used parts before taking it in for a Resto. :shruggy: :Twocents:

Thats good advice, I had spent 14 years collecting parts to restore a car when I had it. Then sold the car to get a different one. Now I have all those parts that oddly enough don't fit the bill on this car. Wrong dates. Oh well, the search is on for ones for this one.

69hemidaytona

I spent a lot more than 10 years rounding up NOS parts. The more I found the more it motivated me to continue looking for those hard to find parts. Not only did I need to find the proper parts but I wanted to make sure they had the right date codes. Every part on that car has the correct date code except for one of the front brake hoses which is dated a few days after the scheduled production date of the car. Another issue was that the restoration cost more than I had anticipated so at times funding would run short and Roger would have to put the car aside. Then when I had the funding secured oftentimes he would be backlogged. It's pretty well done now with just a couple of minor things yet to do. Someday I'll put together a list of all of the NOS parts on the car.

69hemidaytona

The wheels, tires, and hubcaps that are currently on the car are reproductions. The other wheels are date coded H wheels with NOS date coded tires.

tan top

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 07, 2021, 04:48:49 PM
I spent a lot more than 10 years rounding up NOS parts. The more I found the more it motivated me to continue looking for those hard to find parts. Not only did I need to find the proper parts but I wanted to make sure they had the right date codes. Every part on that car has the correct date code except for one of the front brake hoses which is dated a few days after the scheduled production date of the car. Another issue was that the restoration cost more than I had anticipated so at times funding would run short and Roger would have to put the car aside. Then when I had the funding secured oftentimes he would be backlogged. It's pretty well done now with just a couple of minor things yet to do. Someday I'll put together a list of all of the NOS parts on the car.

wondered what had been happening with your daytona !    :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:  looks awesome  !  thanks for the up date  & pictures  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

That looks freakin' awesome. Living through your words here and Geno's resto I am glad I have resigned to do the best I can possibly do.. 😁
Don't have the patience for that long... I feel my resto is going slow in comparisons, but like you, trying to get it as correct as financially possible.

Do have to ask an anal detail question. On the latch tray, were it was cut to facilitate the tranny cooler line, was the cut edge of the tray still bare steel or was it repainted?
Troy

69hemidaytona

The latch tray was cut like that at Creative Industries for the hemi transmission cooler lines. It is especially sloppy on this particular car. We could have smoothed it out but I decided to leave it like that. I don't know if the tray was cut then painted or painted then cut. It was a real balancing act trying to make things authentic but yet have it look nice enough to any future buyer that might be interested in it. Roger and I felt that most of the buyers of these very expensive cars want them to look as pretty as possible and wouldn't know what's correct or just sloppy restoration work. I'm still debating painting the hood adjustment rubber bumpers. A correct battery has already been added.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 07, 2021, 08:45:03 PM
....I'm still debating painting the hood adjustment rubber bumpers. A correct battery has already been added.

:2thumbs:

Gotta order my battery for the 500 as well.........

Troy

Dave Kanofsky

G O R G E O U S ! ! !   :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing!  :cheers:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

wingcarenvy

Wow it is beautiful. You guys that do OE level restore are a little crazy  :2thumbs: