News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona Restoration

Started by 69hemidaytona, April 28, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

This car isn't 100% OE like Hemi Gene's car. I have basecoat, clearcoat paint and I didn't totally reproduce all of the overspray that these cars had when new. But yes......I am crazy!

hemi-hampton

Seems to be 2 types of OE Restorations. The ones that are sloppy with factory 2 coats acrylic enamel & orange peel, engine compartment & trunk runs & then those that want them over Restored nicer then OE. Board flat & straight body's with perfect gaps & heavy duty rubbed base coat clear coats paint jobs. I was talking to a Friend of mine at the Mopar Nats about 10+ years ago. He had like like 3-4 Mopars under Tent for OE Judging. He told me ha hade a decision to make before Resto, to go for the Sloppy OE look or Over Restored better then Factory Look. He said him & Restorer decided to go for the over restored look & I asked why. He said it's actually harder, more time consuming, more expensive to go for the sloppy factory look. And in the end, when done most people would not like it, would not understand why done that way, So not worth doing it that. way. LEON.

69hemidaytona

It's finally finished. I tried posting photos on here but couldn't get it to work. Hopefully the photo bucket link will work.

hemi-hampton

I wasn't able to see anything at the photo bucket link :brickwall: I thought photobucket was pretty much obsolete nowadays, I haven't used it in 15+ years. LEON.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on July 18, 2021, 10:14:12 AM
It's finally finished. I tried posting photos on here but couldn't get it to work. Hopefully the photo bucket link will work.

You have a photo resizer on your cell phone? I usually take a picture with my phone, then resize the photo file by 40%. It usually ends up in a "Resize" folder in my gallery. From my cell phone is where I update the thread here on the Charger Board so I can attach the smaller picture from the phone.

I use this app on my android phone.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69hemidaytona

Hi Troy, I was able to resize them down to about 400 KB. If I tried to enlarge the photo it didn't look very good with that low of a resolution. Even so I attempted to upload them and got that dreaded message that I need to rename the file. I can't figure out how to rename a file on my phone. I know how to do it on my laptop. I may try to transfer the photos to my laptop and do it from there. Thanks for the info.

69hemidaytona

Let's see if this works.

69hemidaytona

Is there any way to get better resolution that's higher than 400 kb?

69hemidaytona

69hemidaytona

69hemidaytona

I'm trying to get them small enough.

69hemidaytona

69hemidaytona

69hemidaytona

69hemidaytona

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

taxspeaker

Tony it sure is great to see this long journey completed. Wow, and it looks incredible.

Back in an early thread John (Mopar John) had commented on the date on the voltage regulator "348" being the 34th week of 68, and that it seemed early. Did anything ever come of that? Mine is dated "338" and has some overspray on it, so I am wondering if the reference dates should start a little earlier than normally expected?

Thanks and we all need more pictures!
Bob

johntpr

69hemidaytona

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 19, 2021, 03:08:25 PM
Tony it sure is great to see this long journey completed. Wow, and it looks incredible.

Back in an early thread John (Mopar John) had commented on the date on the voltage regulator "348" being the 34th week of 68, and that it seemed early. Did anything ever come of that? Mine is dated "338" and has some overspray on it, so I am wondering if the reference dates should start a little earlier than normally expected?

Thanks and we all need more pictures!
Bob
I had forgotten about that discussion but now that you mention it it seems to me that the voltage regulator that was on the car was dated in 1968. I assumed that it was not the original and that the original had been replaced with a slightly older factory part early in the car's life. I haven't followed your thread a whole lot. I intend to take the time to read through it all soon. It seems your car is completely original. If your car has an early voltage regulator then I'm guessing mine was the original to the car too. The first NOS voltage regulator I found had some shelf wear. I later found a perfect date-coded NOS unit for my car. I'll have to recheck to see what the date is on it. I did see your post with your alternator part number and I can confirm that is the correct Hemi alternator. It took me years to find one for my car. Mine had lost its original alternator at some point. I didn't take a whole lot of photos while I was there and I don't have a very good camera. I think I'll invest in a better camera and get the car on a lift and take a lot more detailed photos at some point in the future. At this point the car is ready to leave his shop but I have nowhere to put it. The garage at my home is not heated or humidity controlled and has mice in it from time to time. I may look for a museum that's willing to display it.

Sgt Superbird

I'm so envious. Just beautiful.

Mopar John

Tony,
Congrats on the Daytona being done!
I love the pictures especially the one of the open trunk.
That original trunk weatherstrip with the molded in numbers is a GREAT find!
I also like the authentic trunk mat.
MJ

hemi-hampton

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection