News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project...Pro Street Daytona clone

Started by hotrod98, May 02, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I'm starting to think that I have Mopar insanity.

I'm in the middle of building my Challenger R/T SE and my 71 Cuda drag car and all of a sudden, I start thinking about building something completely different. Well, different for me anyway. I bought a 70 Charger 500 that a friend of mine had been working on before being laid off a few years ago. He had already purchased all new sheet metal and had started fitting the quarters. I purchased it less the engine, transmission and the stuff that I would have removed anyway to build a Daytona clone. The car has good bones despite the need for new quarters and trunk floor. He bought the best pieces from AMD so that will make my job much easier. The original fenders and hood are very nice. Almost a shame to shorten them.

Here's the plan...at least for now. I tend to change my mind every once in a while  ::)

Shorten the nose, fenders and the hood. Similar to the F&F 6 Daytona.
I'll use the steel nose that Howie was originally going to use on his Nascar clone. He decided to go a little more stock in the front end so that he could use buckets, doors and stock z braces.
I'll use new body style Challenger headlamps mounted in place and make the headlamp doors drop down. Not sure on turn signals yet. I have a set of Daytona turn signals just in case I decide to go that way.

I just ordered a 6.4 late style hemi and I haven't decided which way way to go on the transmission yet. I have a new GVO and might just use a 727 with an aftermarket pistol grip racing shifter. I have an 8 3/4 rear and I'll go with big brakes all around. I haven't decided on rims yet. I might go with the new aluminum magnum 500's that Yearone is selling.  Interior will have modern gauges, Sparco racing seats, Sparco steering wheel, I'll eliminate the upper door trim panels, I'll use lower 69 style plain door trims panels less the pockets, no rear seat, just carpeted, heavy insulation on floors, roll cage tucked in tight.

I'll use a vega plug, 3rd gen dutchman, Dane's aluminum hollow wing, my wing braces that I make (more braces coming soon) and thinking seriously about using late model Challenger taillights.
I want to be able to drive this car anywhere, anytime and have it be reliable.

This car will be different than the last clone. I was going for as much originality as possible on the first one. That car was a real nice RT SE car to begin with so I didn't want to hack it up. This one isn't anything special so I can do anything to it without the guilt or remorse...lol

Here's a pic of the car being pulled out of the barn.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

JB400

hotrod98

As soon as I get the floor welded up in my 71 Cuda drag car so that I can get it off of the fixture and moved to my other building. Hopefully this coming week.
I'm ordering parts for the Daytona now. It's going to have a race car look but be a very nice long distance driver. I'm taking cues from Mr Angrier, the F&F Daytona and other ideas that we've had for building a car. A mixture of all three.

I wouldn't have started this project but I've been caught up in riding my Polaris RZR every weekend and really haven't felt like drag racing. My dragster is sitting in the trailer gathering dust and the cuda drag car is a long way from being ready to assemble, so I thought...why not do something completely different.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

he's got so many projects going on now, I don't think any of them will get finished in my lifetime

Bryan

Dave Kanofsky

That sounds very cool...Might I suggest late model CHARGER taillights?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hotrod98

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 02, 2013, 04:10:16 PM

Here's what I was thinking of doing.  Challenger taillights. They fit perfectly. With a little modification to the tail panel of course.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

I like the Challey light back there....what year light assembly is that?

Bryan

BigBlockSam

QuoteShorten the nose, fenders and the hood. Similar to the F&F 6 Daytona.

if you do that can't you stick with the 69 fenders and hood?  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Quote from: A383Wing on May 02, 2013, 10:56:23 PM
I like the Challey light back there....what year light assembly is that?

Bryan

They fit 2008 to present Challengers. I have a 2009 Challenger and I installed a sequential kit. Might have to do that on the clone as well.

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 02, 2013, 11:23:59 PM
QuoteShorten the nose, fenders and the hood. Similar to the F&F 6 Daytona.

if you do that can't you stick with the 69 fenders and hood?  :cheers:

Not really. I will still need to use the front edge of the 70 fenders. Ill make longitudinal cuts before making the vertical cuts. The nose will mate up to the fender much like a real Daytona but will be firmly attached to the fenders and won't have a filler.
As for the 70 hood, I'll form the front edge of the hood over the hood reinforcement to get the correct contour. It will no longer have the bulge where the safety bolts on. The reinforcement will be double layer for a couple of inches to add strength.
We've discussed chopping a few inches off of the rear as well. I've seen it done before and as long as it's just a few inches, it really looks good. Shorten the rear too much it starts looking like an Australian Valiant Charger...lol
Remember...I'm using a car that has had a lot of work done already and isn't exactly a cream puff. The car can always be put back original later if one of the future owners so chooses.
I'm looking forward to getting my new 6.4 hemi. Should be here Monday. I already have a 5.7 hemi that I'll probably use in one of my 71 Cudas later on. I just didn't feel like the 5.7 was appropriate for this project. This ride needed more muscle. 

Charles Addams

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 02, 2013, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 02, 2013, 04:10:16 PM

Here's what I was thinking of doing.  Challenger taillights. They fit perfectly. With a little modification to the tail panel of course.

interesting idea  :yesnod:  while not a fan other than a stock charger body etc , those challenger tail lights look real good  :drool5: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hotrod98

I plan to mount a high mounted taillight as well. The number one reason that so many of the old musclecars are being rear ended is because people are used to seeing bright taillights and high mounted taillights. Those old dim taillights just aren't cutting it anymore.
Back when they started building cars with the antilock brakes and hmtl's, fender bender accidents were reduced by over 50%. I was an insurance adjustor at that time and my number of new claims dropped dramatically.

Charles Addams

cdr

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 03, 2013, 09:58:17 AM
I plan to mount a high mounted taillight as well. The number one reason that so many of the old musclecars are being rear ended is because people are used to seeing bright taillights and high mounted taillights. Those old dim taillights just aren't cutting it anymore.
Back when they started building cars with the antilock brakes and hmtl's, fender bender accidents were reduced by over 50%. I was an insurance adjustor at that time and my number of new claims dropped dramatically.

I never thought about it!!!!   THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA !!!!!!!   IF my car ever drives down the road it WILL have one.

thank you,charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

r4daytona

Looks great, did you ever think about making them the sequential tail lights like in the old cougars?  Yes I know, Mercury idea in a Mopar may not go over with some, but they do look cool from behind.

hotrod98

Quote from: r4daytona on May 03, 2013, 01:34:37 PM
Looks great, did you ever think about making them the sequential tail lights like in the old cougars?  Yes I know, Mercury idea in a Mopar may not go over with some, but they do look cool from behind.

I purchased a sequential kit for my 2009 Challenger. Looks cool, especially at night. Would probably do that on the clone as well.

Charles Addams

DonC1

The late model Chally taillights look great! I've often thought of a third brakelight flush mounted center in the top wing....if it was done right it wouldn't be visible so much ' till you hit the brakes - just an idea.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: DonC1 on May 03, 2013, 02:18:42 PM
I've often thought of a third brakelight flush mounted center in the top wing....if it was done right it wouldn't be visible so much ' till you hit the brakes - just an idea.

That's a great idea !  :2thumbs:
I wonder if there's a thin panel light you could mount that could be triggered remotely when the rear brakes are activated. 

Indygenerallee

I plan on running a LED style brake light along the top back edge of my wing that way all the blind people will see me for sure............ :lol: :smilielol: JK
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hotrod98

I wonder where the best placement would be for a hmtl on a Daytona. Hadn't thought about whether the wing would obstruct it if it were at the top of the back glass. May have to put one at the bottom of the back glass. My glass will be mounted in flush with no trim moldings. I could black out around a third brake light to prevent reflection just like some late model cars.
I've been giving a lot of thought as to how to "plain jane" the interior. I'm thinking about just using a dash frame and welding everything up on it. Then making an aluminum plate for the gauges. Kind of a cross between a sheet metal racecar dash and a stock dash.
Lots of ideas at this point.

Charles Addams

JB400

For a custom look instead of just a bolt on look, how about flushing the 3rd brake light into the decklid?  It doesn't mess with the wing or interrupt the interior any.  There's plenty of room on a Charger decklid to mount a LED strip.

hotrod98

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 03, 2013, 04:24:40 PM
For a custom look instead of just a bolt on look, how about flushing the 3rd brake light into the decklid?  It doesn't mess with the wing or interrupt the interior any.  There's plenty of room on a Charger decklid to mount a LED strip.

I actually thought of that earlier today. I'm already altering the deck lid for the Daytona conversion of course and I'm moving the striker further in to clear the new Challenger taillights so altering the lip won't be a big deal.

Charles Addams

Patronus

Cant the new Charger tail lights work? The challenger route has already been done.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hotrod98

Quote from: Patronus on May 03, 2013, 10:13:36 PM
Cant the new Charger tail lights work? The challenger route has already been done.

The Challenger taillights fit much better and the Charger taillights are having problems with the LED's burning out prematurely. And, the Charger taillights are about $400 more than the Challenger taillights.
The Challenger taillights have the word DODGE on the reverse lamp which is kinda cool.

Charles Addams

thehemikid

The 69 Imperial had them.  This guys 3rd outer bulbs are not working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dTocPXlv-4

A383Wing

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals,  $69 ..........        
                    - For cars with 3 lamps on each side

Bryan