News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project...Pro Street Daytona clone

Started by hotrod98, May 02, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

Quote from: Stevearino on September 30, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
That's a beautiful car. I wish I had stayed with the upholstery hobby. I did a few cars when I was younger but I would love to have developed these skills to this level.
[/quote]

yeah...just look at the hack you've turned into  :lol:

dads_69

Larry, would enjoy a visit to your shop someday..awesome work buddy!
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Budnicks on September 30, 2013, 07:36:47 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on September 30, 2013, 06:29:24 PM
My stage V intake arrived today along with some other premium quality parts from John at Arruzza High Performance. About the only parts that I haven't purchased yet are the MSD ignition parts and the wet sump oiling system. Well, that and the headers and the accessory brackets and probably a bunch of stuff that I haven't thought about yet. I've also received the FAST dual quad system and the hemi flex plate. The HD 727 is at the transmission shop being checked out. A friend of mine built the transmission several years ago and never used it so I thought that I should have it checked out just in case. New seals, etc. It has all of the heavy duty internals so it should hold up well behind the hemi. I'll have them install my GVO while it's there in the shop.
I'm trying hard to get a customer car finished and delivered and my cuda drag car out of the way so that I can pull the Charger body in to get started. I've been buying up very nice project cars for my guys to work on this winter so I'm kind of limited on space. Right now we have 14 cars inside the shops.  So far I've bought a very nice 70 B5 matching #s runner and a very solid 69 Mach 1 that only has 50K miles on it. I've also found a one owner 70 orange 4 speed runner that I'm currently trying to buy. I don't see us slowing down much this winter.
That is perty...LOL... do you know how much they had to mill off ?? so it would clear the hood, I'm just curious...

Does this SV intake separate the front 4 cylinders from the back 4? - or is the intake open?

Dane

hotrod98

There is an opening between the front and the back.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

My stage V intake arrived today along with some other premium quality parts from John at Arruzza High Performance. About the only parts that I haven't purchased yet are the MSD ignition parts and the wet sump oiling system. Well, that and the headers and the accessory brackets and probably a bunch of stuff that I haven't thought about yet. I've also received the FAST dual quad system and the hemi flex plate. The HD 727 is at the transmission shop being checked out. A friend of mine built the transmission several years ago and never used it so I thought that I should have it checked out just in case. New seals, etc. It has all of the heavy duty internals so it should hold up well behind the hemi. I'll have them install my GVO while it's there in the shop.
I'm trying hard to get a customer car finished and delivered and my cuda drag car out of the way so that I can pull the Charger body in to get started. I've been buying up very nice project cars for my guys to work on this winter so I'm kind of limited on space. Right now we have 14 cars inside the shops.  So far I've bought a very nice 70 B5 matching #s runner and a very solid 69 Mach 1 that only has 50K miles on it. I've also found a one owner 70 orange 4 speed runner that I'm currently trying to buy. I don't see us slowing down much this winter.
That is perty...LOL... do you know how much they had to mill off ?? so it would clear the hood, I'm just curious...

I was told 1/4".

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

Quote from: dads_69 on October 01, 2013, 05:23:40 PM
Larry, would enjoy a visit to your shop someday..awesome work buddy!

Yeah, it's nice to know folks like Larry.  I'd have zero issues sending a car down there to him (if he wanted it?) to work on & never fly down to check on it/him.

That Brian guy is another one.   :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I appreciate the compliments. In my old age, I've kind of slowed down a bit and I think it's rubbing off on my guys. Seems like it takes forever to get anything accomplished around here lately...lol.  I have several projects going on at the same time and more coming. The shop is full and I'm thinking about building a storage building just to store parts for current projects.
I just bought an Acapulco Blue 69 Mach1 that has 50,000 miles on it and has been sitting in a barn near here since 1989. I'm a Mopar guy through and through but I love those 69 Machs. I bought this one on the spot. The only thing missing is the ram-air air cleaner assembly.
It looks kind of out of place in my shop...lol

Charles Addams

Stevearino

If your gonna love a Ford that's the one for sure.Best Mustang ever IMHO.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 02, 2013, 01:36:01 PM
I appreciate the compliments. In my old age, I've kind of slowed down a bit and I think it's rubbing off on my guys. Seems like it takes forever to get anything accomplished around here lately...lol.  I have several projects going on at the same time and more coming. The shop is full and I'm thinking about building a storage building just to store parts for current projects.
I just bought an Acapulco Blue 69 Mach1 that has 50,000 miles on it and has been sitting in a barn near here since 1989. I'm a Mopar guy through and through but I love those 69 Machs. I bought this one on the spot. The only thing missing is the ram-air air cleaner assembly.

The '69 Mach 1 is the only Mustang I ever wanted. :drool5:

Great find!   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Back in the day, my brother was the Mustang guy in the family so he ended up with all of the Mustangs that we found including the Mach 1's. I've always wanted one and was surprised to find a restorable candidate after all of these years.

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

I don't know, I have yet to see a car at your place Larry that had rust.  Seems like they've all been sporting their factory paint when you buy them.

No wonder all your cars turn out so nice.   :insertsarcasm:

Of course I know that's not true.  *the rust part*

Budnicks

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 01, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

I was told 1/4".
:2thumbs: thanks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 02, 2013, 01:36:01 PM
I appreciate the compliments. In my old age, I've kind of slowed down a bit and I think it's rubbing off on my guys. Seems like it takes forever to get anything accomplished around here lately...lol.  I have several projects going on at the same time and more coming. The shop is full and I'm thinking about building a storage building just to store parts for current projects.

I'm a Mopar 1st guy too, I do like only certain select 67-70's Mustangs Sportroof/fastbacks thou, I've had a couple over the years, easy to find parts for, lend themselves to modifications very well/easily bolt-ons too... I especially like the 69 & 70 Mach 1's, My favorites are the Boss 302 cars thou, I don't care too much for any other years other than those thou... cool project, good luck
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

hotrod98

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 04, 2013, 03:38:19 AM
I don't know, I have yet to see a car at your place Larry that had rust.  Seems like they've all been sporting their factory paint when you buy them.

No wonder all your cars turn out so nice.   :insertsarcasm:

Of course I know that's not true.  *the rust part*

In this part of the world, we typically get the usual rust in the lower quarters and trunk floor. Some cars get a little rust in the front floor pans and at the bottom of the back glass but usually not that bad.  It does make the restoration process on these cars quicker, easier and less costly.

Charles Addams

djcarguy

hows the shop cleanup an start of your Daytona project coming??  sounds like it will bee a interesting build with some change ups.  i really like daytonas with tubbs an big back tires an the shorttened nose will help the side view alot.
well its raining alot here in old oregon ,good i have a hard pack lawn so my cars are not sinking out in back yard,need a shop to get more out of the rain,..

well all the best on ya daytona an cuda race car,have some fun out there.latter DJ out west :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :cheers: :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I figured it was time for an update. Still haven't pulled the car into the shop. I've been busy moving stuff around and clearing a spot in the front shop for the Drag Pak Challenger and my 70 Challenger R/T/SE. The Challenger is painted and ready to assemble and I'm waiting on parts to start on the Drag Pak car. I've made a few changes in my plans for the F&F car. I've decided to definitely shorten the fenders and hood approximately ten inches and I'm going to weld the steel nose onto the fenders to clean up the looks of the car. I'll also shave the door handles and side markers. I'll add the hemi name plates to the doors and add one to the deck lid as well. I'm not going to use a back bumper. I'll fill in the valance similar to the movie car and probably just use the taillight housings and lenses from a 69. No bezels. I'm also going to shave the drip moldings.
The main thing that I won't copy from the movie car is the wing glass. I'll still use the factory wing glass but paint all of the chrome trim semi gloss black to blend in with the tinted windows. I want the door glasses to operate properly. They will be powered.
I like the Viper style seats that are in my new drag pak car so I'm going to order a set of them from Jeg's. A set of them are over a thousand dollars cheaper than Sparcos. I'm still planning on a full roll cage so I'll have to cut the dash. No big deal really.
I was originally thinking about going with an AlterKation front suspension but I already have a hemi k member so I think I'll save the money and go stock.  I'll buy the adjustable upper control arms though to correct the caster problems these cars have. I've definitely decided to use the 426 Gen II hemi rather than using the late model Gen III 392 hemi. With the dual quad FAST throttle body fuel injection and GVO overdrive, I think it will work just fine on the highway. I bought an Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump in-tank system and will run a stock tank. Pricey but worth every dime.
Flip Top fuel cap will be recessed with a drain tube so that water doesn't sit down in recess.
I'm definitely going with the same color as the movie car which is PMP Ox Blood red pearl that came on the 2012 Ram trucks.
Exhaust will be routed through the lwer front quarter panels but I want the mufflers to stay out of the passenger compartment.

Here's my 70 R/T SE.  Ready to assemble.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

:drool5:

please excuse me...I gotta go get another drool towel

Stevearino

Can't wait to see you get this project fired up. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: Found the company that did the side glass for the movie cars. Unfortunately they did it in laminated glass because they said no two cars fit the glass the same and they had to be edge sanded to fit. They used a mid 80's Buick window regulator system to do the delete but as you can see from some of the pics of the  show car with the window rolled up they did not exactly seal to the quarter glass. Laminated glass would be a non-starter for a driver especially a frameless panel. Looking forward to your progress.

hotrod98

I kind of abandoned the wing glass delete idea early on. I want to install power windows and knew that I would be opening a can of worms. I need my projects to be as simple as possible to keep me from losing interest. I tend to jump around from project to project now and don't want that to happen once I start on this project. The plum crazy Challenger had been ready to paint for over a year before finally getting it into the booth. And, I had one of my guys paint it for me or it still wouldn't have paint on it.  I'm getting old and lazy. Okay...older and lazier.

Charles Addams

djcarguy

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 03, 2013, 05:31:07 AM
The finished product of the Challenger tail conversion here....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=85486.275

This tucked an sucked an fitted rear bumper i think looks lots better with this or stockish tail lites,,,  than the back of the fast an fondled car rear end??

Liked most of F&furrie car but hate its rear.. :Twocents: :Twocents:  looking forward to your build an too see it come too life .love your black S-bird an daytona and your e body builds.sure the rear of yours will look better than F&F car when done. :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 29, 2013, 02:03:06 PM
I kind of abandoned the wing glass delete idea early on. I want to install power windows and knew that I would be opening a can of worms. I need my projects to be as simple as possible to keep me from losing interest. I tend to jump around from project to project now and don't want that to happen once I start on this project. The plum crazy Challenger had been ready to paint for over a year before finally getting it into the booth. And, I had one of my guys paint it for me or it still wouldn't have paint on it.  I'm getting old and lazy. Okay...older and lazier.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel your pain. I feel your pain.

r4daytona

Just read the last three pages of this and I have to say you have some skills!!  Guys like you make me jealous!  Awesome work, and I know hwat you mean about getting older and lazier, or should we say - less motivated! It was 13 degrees here last week and it was time for my daughter to get an oil change - in my unheated garage!! I'm 51, maybe I should re-teach her how to do it herself!  Anyway, awesome projects and I do like the Mach I. My friend had one, then sold it for a boss 429.  They're cool cars.

boss429kiwi

Since we have changed the subject somewhat.
Sorry to Hijack, but would like to share.

YES, I LIKE ORANGE  ::)

How about these babys:

1970 Boss 429

1970 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, extremely rare white shaker and stripe option

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

hotrod98

Nice cars.
My 69 Mach has the air grabber hood but I like the Boss 429 hood scoop better. Too bad the correct ones are over $1200 for the entire setup.

Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.