News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project...Pro Street Daytona clone

Started by hotrod98, May 02, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I'm about ready to fire all of my employees. I left for a full day to deliver a car to a customer and my employees decided to ignore my instructions to pull a car out that was on a rotisserie and lightly sandblast parts of it. These were the last two warm days that we were going to have for a while. A winter storm is moving in and we could have finished the car in the nice warm shop. Now we will have to wait quite a while before being able to work on the car. They decided to work on some easy projects as well as one of their own cars.
With the humidity here, it's almost impossible to sandblast when it's cold. The sand just won't flow and the fresh air hood tends to fog up badly.
I think I'm going to send everyone home until the weather warms up just to show them how things work around here. Maybe they can all get Christmas holiday jobs at Wal-Mart at a fifth of the wages that they make here.  It's hard to believe how little people appreciate their jobs nowadays. This isn't the first time that I've had problems with work ethic around here. The last big job that we had took almost twice as long as it should have due to a couple of employees and their long term personal problems at home. Gets kinda old. Makes me look bad.

I was planning to move the F&F Daytona project in today to start putting it back together. That didn't happen.   :flame:

On a lighter note, I received my racing seats for the project yesterday. Pics soon. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Stevearino

I was in business for 8 years back in the 80's. I think everyone who has a job needs to try to pay the bills with their own efforts for a few years and they would appreciate how easy it is to just show up, do what they are asked and collect some money. i know a lot of good people who no longer have good jobs.  :rotz: :rotz:

roger440

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 05, 2013, 12:06:46 AM
I'm about ready to fire all of my employees. I left for a full day to deliver a car to a customer and my employees decided to ignore my instructions to pull a car out that was on a rotisserie and lightly sandblast parts of it. These were the last two warm days that we were going to have for a while. A winter storm is moving in and we could have finished the car in the nice warm shop. Now we will have to wait quite a while before being able to work on the car. They decided to work on some easy projects as well as one of their own cars.
With the humidity here, it's almost impossible to sandblast when it's cold. The sand just won't flow and the fresh air hood tends to fog up badly.
I think I'm going to send everyone home until the weather warms up just to show them how things work around here. Maybe they can all get Christmas holiday jobs at Wal-Mart at a fifth of the wages that they make here.  It's hard to believe how little people appreciate their jobs nowadays. This isn't the first time that I've had problems with work ethic around here. The last big job that we had took almost twice as long as it should have due to a couple of employees and their long term personal problems at home. Gets kinda old. Makes me look bad.

I was planning to move the F&F Daytona project in today to start putting it back together. That didn't happen.   :flame:

On a lighter note, I received my racing seats for the project yesterday. Pics soon. 

Hmmm, know how that feels!

Was in the workshop one day when a new customer turns up, walks straight over to me, and says, high, "im John, you must be the owner."

Later i quizzed him how he knew i owned the buisness. He said, "because you were the only busy person!"
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

hotrod98

My problem is being too close to my employees. There's an old saying..."Familiarity breeds contempt".

It's so difficult keeping the business relationships separate from personal relationships.  Especially when we are all Mopar guys.

Charles Addams

remta1

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 07, 2013, 01:18:49 PM
My problem is being too close to my employees. There's an old saying..."Familiarity breeds contempt".

It's so difficult keeping the business relationships separate from personal relationships.  Especially when we are all Mopar guys.

Yep your so right ,it can be a juggling act

Budnicks

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 07, 2013, 01:18:49 PM

I can speak from experience, almost all employees seem to think they should be paid more & work less  :slap: & almost all bosses/owners think just the opposite  :brickwall: I had a few employees that were good friends, they are the hardest to have to fire, but easiest to talk to & motivate also "usually", it's a tough situation, working with family &/or friends  :Twocents: good luck keep up the great work
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Stevearino

hotrod98

That's a pretty cool Mustang. I'm trying to buy a low mileage 95 Ford Mustang convertible that has a 5.0 and five speed. I would like to transplant that driveline into the Mach instead of using the old school 351 Cleveland and FMX auto.

I've put most of my projects on the back burner temporarily while I get my Drag Pak Challenger ready for next season. I hate to admit it but I've been spending more time riding my Polaris RZR lately than I have working on my car projects.  It's addictive. We rode in the snow up in the mountains today. We don't get snow very often this far south so I had to take advantage of it. Usually we have to drive to Colorado to ride in the snow. 

Charles Addams

Stevearino

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 17, 2013, 10:10:35 PM
That's a pretty cool Mustang. I'm trying to buy a low mileage 95 Ford Mustang convertible that has a 5.0 and five speed. I would like to transplant that driveline into the Mach instead of using the old school 351 Cleveland and FMX auto.
That sounds like a great way to go.

I've put most of my projects on the back burner temporarily while I get my Drag Pak Challenger ready for next season. I hate to admit it but I've been spending more time riding my Polaris RZR lately than I have working on my car projects.  It's addictive. We rode in the snow up in the mountains today. We don't get snow very often this far south so I had to take advantage of it. Usually we have to drive to Colorado to ride in the snow. 
Hey. Fun is Fun. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

djcarguy

MERRY CHRISTMAS HOTROD AN TO A GOOD NEW YEAR.  Waiting for daytona stuff an enjoying seeing other cars an builds at your shop.

was looking at  past info saw pixs of ya black daytona an start of a bird project  white or primer with wing back view   , you build some great looking rides. have fun and thanks for sharing.

hay ya may want ta look at feb 14  HOTROD  Mag ---41 ways to go fast  stuff on a new red challenger  vs camaro  vs  mustang   some goal of 200 mph in standing mile. only skimmed it ,have to go back an read the rest.  all my best to you an yours this holiday season.DJ :cheers: :2thumbs:

hotrod98

When I started collecting parts for the F&F Daytona project, I never thought that I would have found a drag pak Challenger to build this winter. That has definitely changed the priorities in my life. I'll get back on the Daytona shortly.
Update...I bought the drag pak Challenger thinking that it was a 550 hp 5.7 hemi. That was the main reason that I was able to get such a great deal on it. Everyone wanted a 6.1 and the seller was having trouble selling a 5.7 version. Upon removing the engine Saturday, we discovered that this is actually a 630 hp 6.1. In fact, we've now learned that all 50 of the 2010's were 6.1's.  That is a pleasant surprise and frankly a relief. I was starting to be concerned that 550 hp wasn't going to be enough to run a 7.0 class consistently. Merry Christmas to me.  ;D

We took the car to the chassis shop over the weekend so that they could start on the roll cage and suspension.  Should be able to get it back in about three weeks and then we can start on final assembly.

Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

NICE!!!  :2thumbs:  kinda like finding money in a coat except WAY BETTER!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Kinda weird that the previous owner did not know what they had but whatever. Congrats. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

hotrod98

This car was originally purchased by an elderly gentleman near Chicago who thought he was buying a completed racecar. The dealership had it transferred from Baytown, TX up to Chicago and really knew nothing about the car. The guy refused it when he found out it wasn't a running, driving car so the dealership wholesaled the car. They had advertised it as a 5.7 so the new owner assumed that the dealership knew what they were talking about.
There's nothing on the car to tell you whether it's a 5.7 or a 6.1. No vin...remember. And the plate that Roush put on the car doesn't tell you.  The 5.7's and 6.1's look absolutely identical from the outside.

Charles Addams

Stevearino

Well that adds up then. Again their lack of concern is your good fortune. Best of luck with that piece.

Indygenerallee

So Roush had a hand in building the drag pack Challengers???
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

hotrod98

Yes. They made the modifications to the chassis and added the drag pak plate.

Charles Addams

Budnicks

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 24, 2013, 03:29:59 PM
When I started collecting parts for the F&F Daytona project, I never thought that I would have found a drag pak Challenger to build this winter. That has definitely changed the priorities in my life. I'll get back on the Daytona shortly.
Update...I bought the drag pak Challenger thinking that it was a 550 hp 5.7 hemi. That was the main reason that I was able to get such a great deal on it. Everyone wanted a 6.1 and the seller was having trouble selling a 5.7 version. Upon removing the engine Saturday, we discovered that this is actually a 630 hp 6.1. In fact, we've now learned that all 50 of the 2010's were 6.1's.  That is a pleasant surprise and frankly a relief. I was starting to be concerned that 550 hp wasn't going to be enough to run a 7.0 class consistently. Merry Christmas to me.  ;D

We took the car to the chassis shop over the weekend so that they could start on the roll cage and suspension.  Should be able to get it back in about three weeks and then we can start on final assembly.
:2thumbs: very cool ride, very nice score, especially having the bigger better more powerful 6.1lter Hemi engine combo, is a plus & nice selfy Christmas Present  :drool5:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

hotrod98

I'm still collecting parts for my Fast and Furious Daytona clone.  I hope to get started on it by the time spring arrives. Meanwhile, I'm working on preparing my new racecar. I just picked the drag pak Challenger up a few days ago from the chassis shop where I had the rear suspension and roll cage installed. I will be taking it to Tulsa Raceway Park next Saturday to have the cage certified by NHRA.
I'm beginning to think that I may need to hire someone to help me in my racecar shop just to get some of these projects finished up. I still haven't assembled my 70 Challenger R/T SE plum crazy car or my 64 Dodge 330 drag car that I'm building for a friend of mine to drive.
I'm getting further and further behind. 

Charles Addams

Stevearino

One way or another it looks like you are having a blast. So many great projects under way. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

DonC1

I agree! Awesome projects there Larry.  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE